FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

2 Pages<12
Simon Labreche's WIPs
SimonLabreche
#21 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:16:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

Daniel - Totally agree with that, I usually take a while to see perspective issues, thats why enviro arnt so much my cup of tea : ).  Thanks a bunch for the perspective tool, very nice find and can't wait to try it out.

A bit more polish on this one, something in the colors still isn't clicking for me..but gradually adding props, clearifying the surrondings/purpose of the place.

SimonLabreche
#22 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 3:51:54 AM(UTC)

Hi,

This week's class by Richard got me inspired, really digging the tricks he gave us.

brush waterfall

David Morgado
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:48:19 AM(UTC)

These last images are coming along pretty nicely!

On the temple one, I don't think the problem is the colors, but rather the lightning. I think that with some projected shadows that would make sense in that lightning scheme, it would look much more interesting! Also the "altar" is distorted, I believe using the elipse tool for it might be helpfull.

Hope that helps
Horia Dociu
#24 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:17:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Nice strokes and colors here, but I think your compositions need a lot of work. You've got to ask yourself WHAT AM I DRAWING?! So that before you lay a line down, you know what the star of the shot is, not just worrying about painterly strokes... if the thumbnail is bunk, no amount of neato brush work will save it. Again, these are nicely painted, but spend some more time planning! :)

SimonLabreche
#25 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 9:02:23 AM(UTC)

David - Thanks for the input David!  If I push this piece further I'll definately go for more shadows/interesting projections .  I think a different point of view of this piece would be better.

Horia - Oh man, super appreciated!!  I've struggled with composition for as long as I can remember, It does clear out a lot of the questions I had,  so very very helpful tips right there. Thanks ! : )

Heres some sketches I've started earlier this week, cropped with composition tricks in mind ,:

SimonLabreche
#26 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:03:34 AM(UTC)

Hey, 

I've started this hat dude, I used Levi's hacks ^^with the warp tool to ease out some of the design choices, the scarf and the hat are some parts of the previous painting I've posted, I didn't even change the colors, I love them tricks.

on a side note: the polycont Brawl Contest just came to and end, so now I got some more time for FP homework!!! yay, I has been quite the challenge to manage my time, Futurepoly assignements, the contest and with more hours at work.. but I made it, I can breathe now and concentrate on getting concept art done.

you c an checkout my entry here- Fulgore - Killer Instinct:

http://GloomingShade.dev...awl-Fulgore-KI-207724894

SimonLabreche
#27 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 7:45:36 PM(UTC)

updates, trying to focus on some pieces anda new dragon. (got the topic from concept art creature of the week activity)

David Morgado
#28 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:35:48 PM(UTC)

SimonLabreche wrote:

David - Thanks for the input David!  If I push this piece further I'll definately go for more shadows/interesting projections .  I think a different point of view of this piece would be better.

I know I'm the minority here, but I actually like the point of view you have. It feels like seeing the scene through the eyes of a human, a very realistic viewpoint. I generally tend to favour those kinds of viewpoints, but like I said, I know I'm on the minority :)

The hat dude is pretty cool, I'm sure it will end up great!

No crits this time, sorry :)

SimonLabreche
#29 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 5:29:27 PM(UTC)

DavidM- Ha thanks for the support! I do quite enjoy these types of view aswell, maybe I tried to make it maybe too much at the same time,   I had a feeling some of the magic the gathering cards describes a scene more than a subject, but Horia brought up a good point that it is important to give a clear focus to them.  ( One of my goals is to do magic cards)

So here is an update on the hat dude, I've tried to apply most of the Kekai baddass tricks, maybe 7 out of 14 lol!

SimonLabreche
#30 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:15:20 PM(UTC)

update on the dragon pic, switchin' from one piece to another to freshen things up.  I used a lot of levi's trick to use some part and warp them to give some new designs/patterns, it worked great when researching ideas for this pic.

George Kritikos
#31 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:26:27 PM(UTC)

Man

really nice progression on those characters!

The wing in the background needs to be repositioned (up and further to the left to maybe fix up the perspective a bit) and also try using the "Lighten" technique with the blending modes like Kekai showed us to push the wing more into the background.

SimonLabreche
#32 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:24:37 PM(UTC)

Thanks George, good point about that wing.  I've tried something else with the positionning, I hope it works better now. Let me know! c&c welcome.

SimonLabreche
#33 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:01:13 AM(UTC)

well, might not be an enviro, but I have applied some of the tips we've learned with Daniel, as pushing things back/foward and making choices about the light direction. Trying to be more careful with brush strokes. 

The blade sisters :

George Kritikos
#34 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:07:48 PM(UTC)

Man

awesome blade sisters!

atm, the angel man character sort of looks like he's lost his balance. I understand hes probably flying at this point, but you could give him a more dynamic pose to support this. Instead of writing my suggestion I thought I'd show you.

I could be completely off the ball here, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I dont want to take over your work but it was just easiest way to convey my suggestion. ... I hope you dont mind.

File Attachment(s):
qw75psyk.jpg (451kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
SimonLabreche
#35 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:03:09 PM(UTC)

George - Thanks so much for taking the time to paintover, I actually completly agree.  It definately sells the character way better, I owe you : ) !  The posing also helped switch more between detailing/posing and I've just realized it is a great way to not get bored doing the same thing all the time. Changing the focus from one aspect to another to freshen things up.

Here an update :