FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages<123
Ryan Stevenson's WIPs
Levi Hopkins
#41 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:41:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Ryan-

Hey thanks for doing my assignment, you pumped out a bunch. They are lookin real good, some i'd just take straight to finish with just a few tweaks. Below I have just a few adjustments I would do to your thumbnails.

The first thumb is really nice, good job. I feel there is a disconnect on the scale within the image. The guys in the foreground feel almost like they are on the same plane as the building closest to the viewer. But when you look out across the vista you're implying these buildings are a lot larger. So the way i fixed this, one way out of many, was to really increase the scale of your foreground building and then threw a scale reference dude on it. I also pushed the scale overall of the buildings and added a few more distant ones to the vista. Go big or go home is the arenanet philosophy! :)

I really liked the shape of your buildings, they felt a bit squashed though so I stretched them a tad more vertical just for exaggeration sake. I liked the idea of the smooth shapes you have on the buildings and thought contrasting that with a bit of a destroyed look on the shadowed side could add more of a story to the image. Contrasting design elements within the actual design of an object is a nice way to build interest for the eye.

Finally I just pushed the nice lighting you had going a bit more to pop the atmosphere a bit.

The second image really you've established everything necessary: great mood, solid scale, nice rendering. I think the only thing missing is the epic side of it which was done just buy pushing the depth a tad more by adding more columns.

Really nice work overall, you know what you're doing for sure so just keep going!

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
Ryan Stevenson
#42 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:29:35 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Levi: Thanks for the paintover Levi, love your work and your pointers are top notch. 

Here's my work for Kekai class again, a whole heap of tweaks including the big horns, not sure which I'm going with yet.

SimonLabreche
#43 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:11:31 PM(UTC)

Hey Ryan!

Looking real good, the materials and lighting are tight!

I'd go with the big horns one, also a pointer if you don't mind, try lasso-ing an arm leg and play with the direction to vary up the pose.  The arms and legs are somewhat parallel and results in a more 'generic' standing.

But from a design standpoint, that doesn't matter much,  great work! 

George Kritikos
#44 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:03:23 PM(UTC)

Man

hey i think the head on your character is a tad too small.

Also his waiste is prob too far up... so atm im kind of getting an awkward uncomfortable position for this guy. OR this guys arms are just way too big, his hands should roughly be placed just below hip height (not passed the knees). Look at both areas again and grab the laso tool and start rotating/warping where needed.

and btw, I disagree with Simon, I like the smaller horns (just thicken them slightly) :P

Ryan Stevenson
#45 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:05:32 PM(UTC)

Man

Simon and George: Thanks for the pointers guys, I can't believe I missed some of the structure mistakes, I'll blame it on the fact i've been working my ass off recently and need to recharge...saying that I just could leave this guy alone so here he is again. 

I really need to get back to my enviros soon as they're too much fun to leave forget about