FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

2 Pages<12
Jennifer Stoneking - WIP thread
Edwin Rhemrev
#21 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 1:35:37 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Jen: Well,looks like someone is feeling better today! Looking good Jen, the silhouet approach plus the FG/MG/BG approach is working quite nicely already!
As you mentioned, by using the transparency tool you are seeing through each layer, try to paint that out, or use brightness or lighten to keep each plane solid and non transparent. Good stuff!

-Edwin

David Morgado
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:35:29 AM(UTC)

Jennifer, what Edwin said I second 100%!

Also, try to be more "agressive" in the compositions so to speak.
Right now they are all very vertical, with ground an verticals dark. You can try to experiment other scenes, where you have diagonal shapes, stuff dangling from the top, etc (note: I should follow my own advices more. Its funny that I'm somewhat doing the same, but really didn't think about it since I saw these last works from you!)

Hope that helps
Jennifer Stoneking
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 8:57:47 AM(UTC)

Another one before I run out the door....

Jennifer Stoneking - 042311 - Enviro 4

Work decent enough for the internet: http://jenniferstoneking.carbonmade.com
Jennifer Stoneking
#24 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:36:08 AM(UTC)

Left this one in B&W, couldn't find a color scheme I liked at all for it. The lighting is also off in a lotta places (on the beams supporting whatever it is you see at the top, for example) and I will fix that in the morning when I wake up. It's 3:37am, man! :(

I tried to go a little more bold with the composition, but I'm not sure if it worked out. I also tried to include elements from things that you see outside of the frame of the picture, as per suggestions that were given. Thank you guys for looking and commenting, I have been trying to take everything to heart and work on these to get better.

I'm definitely finding that the custom shapes tool has made it 100% easier for me to get started into something; less worrying about how i'm gonna draw all those rocks and ridges and etc etc... so, thanks to Thomas for showing us such an awesome photoshop tool. :D 

Jennifer Stoneking - 042311 - Enviro 5

Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#25 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:20:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes, Online Subscription 1 year

Well, it's better then what I can do.
Not sure if that is a complement or not Jen....
Jennifer Stoneking
#26 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 4:21:00 PM(UTC)

Thanks Daniel! I'll totally take it as a compliment. You have skill in areas that I don't, so there's something to learn from everyone. I'm glad you like my stuff. :)

Thanks Daniel! I'll totally take it as a compliment. You have skill in areas that I don't, and there's something to learn from everyone. I'm glad you like my stuff. :)

Here is something I did in 25 minutes. .___.;; Also in black in white, because adding color would take away from my random spontaneous burst of energy. I think I totally lost the FG/MG/BG thing I had going on when I did the sketch for this, and I don't know how I might try to get that back into this.

And I totally just watched Kekai's freebie painting demo thing, and realized you can use gradients on selected areas. Holy jesus, that would have been awesome to know for my previous stuff! Man! *excited*

Jennifer Stoneking - 042411 - Enviro 6

Thomas Scholes
#27 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:45:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes, FP Instructor, Moderator

Jennifer: I'm glad the custom shapes have been motivating for you! You've got some good starts from them and you're doing some good things to lead the eyecompositinallyspeaking. I think the first two are my favorites and it's because your values are the clearest. It's okay to do these studies in just black and white - honestly I'd recommend you take a divide and conquer approach to your problems as often as possible - meaning, isolate your problem (Value in this example), remove the other problems and hone your ability. The best part of custom shapes is it can speed things up quite a bit, freeing you to do many thumbnails before committing to just one. With your latest I think you've jumped to quickly into texture and haven't spent enough time on yoursilhouttesand hierarchy - specifically value. Remember to use your contrast wisely and in order to lead and control the eye. Surround texture with rest areas, dark areas with white. A genericforumulathat you will get a lot ofmilagefrom is 80/20 - so say - 80% black with 20% white - the white will naturally become your focal point. 80% rest area, 20% textured area - the textured area will naturally become your focal point. Okay, small ramble there - let me know if you have any questions!

Jennifer: I'm glad the custom shapes have been motivating for you! You've got some good starts from them and you're doing some good things to lead the eye compositionally speaking. I think the first two are my favorites and it's because your values are the clearest. It's okay to do these studies in just black and white - honestly I'd recommend you take a divide and conquer approach to your problems as often as possible - meaning, isolate your problem (Value in this example), remove the other problems and hone your ability. The best part of custom shapes is it can speed things up quite a bit, freeing you to do many thumbnails before committing to just one. With your latest I think you've jumped to quickly into texture and haven't spent enough time on your silhouettes and hierarchy - specifically value. Remember to use your contrast wisely and in order to lead and control the eye. Surround texture with rest areas, dark areas with white. A generic formula that you will get a lot of mileage from is 80/20 - so say - 80% black with 20% white - the white will naturally become your focal point. 80% rest area, 20% textured area - the textured area will naturally become your focal point. Okay, small ramble there - let me know if you have any questions!

Jennifer Stoneking
#28 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:54:13 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the feedback Thomas--I'm going to try to bang one out today, and I'll try to keep your comments in mind. :) I did jump the gun on that last image, I got too excited about texturing the cavern, so much to the point I lost out on the work I did with values for the under-drawing. This next one will be better, I promise!

Finally watching week 4's video today too, so there's a lot on my plate for today.
Jennifer Stoneking
#29 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:49:13 PM(UTC)

Okay, so this is a train wreck, and I'm going to admit it now. I had a lot of trouble coming up with ideas for what a decent book cover should be. This was the only salvagable one I did last night; feel free to rip it apart. There was attempted control over the values, but I'm not sure if it worked out.

Jennifer Stoneking - 042711 - Book cover 1 

Jennifer Stoneking
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:31:35 AM(UTC)

Another book cover, hopefully with some improvements:

Jennifer Stoneking - 050411 - Book Cover 2

Jennifer Stoneking
#31 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:48:04 PM(UTC)

Started during class, attempting to use some of Levi's techniques like reuse of paintings, lassoing things to try to come up with happy accidents, photo overlays... perspective needs some work, but hopefully I got the jist of using some of the techniques we saw in class today.

Jennifer Stoneking - 050811 - Ship 1

Jennifer Stoneking
#32 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:35:37 AM(UTC)

Hi guys, 

I'm having trouble doing actual thumbnails, so I've been sticking to full enviro pieces and hopefully I can do a solid 20 by the end of the class. This is my "starting" piece, for using as the base for my next few paintings. I think I managed to give it a mood and I didn't erribly destroy the perspective--tried to keep the whole FG/MG/BG approach in mind (but the small stream/waterfall sort of messed up my values... how could I fix it?). Please let me know what you guys think and how I can improve! Thanks :)

Jennifer Stoneking - 051111 - Enviro 7

Jennifer Stoneking
#33 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 7:19:39 PM(UTC)

Take one of reuse of image; erased some of the elements before duplicating and using a Lighter Color filter thing to make a mirror image on the bottom. Did some editing to increase the contrast of trees closer to the viewer with making them darker, and I attempted to do a water texture on the pond, but that didn't work out. Just giving you the best take. :) Still in black and white, though.

Jennifer Stoneking - 051311 - Enviro 8

Jennifer Stoneking
#34 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 2:20:17 PM(UTC)

This is my submission for week 7... I worked on it all week and I wanted to make sure I focused on modeling her body well, but the damn thing just wasn't working out. I can't figure out what it is I'm doing wrong, but hopefully there's some improvement nonetheless. Please comment/critique!

Jennifer Stoneking - 052011 - Week 8 Figure

Levi Hopkins
#35 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:57:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Jennifer-

I did a real quick paintover of your spaceship piece. Just a few notes to think about, when doodling a vehicle or ship think about the mid-point of the ship or basically a line that intersects directly down the middle cutting the object in two. From this mid-point you can plot out your wing distances or calculate if you should actually see something on the farside of the vehicle. The next thing to do would be once you have your basic form down think about the contour of the surfaces and draw some segments, panel lines, or anything else to help indicate the form. I noticed you did this a bit but in other areas it was way off.

I also noticed you had some straight lines from the nose of the ship, maybe your perspective grid, but even if it is it's a bit off and fighting with the form of your ship. :)

I had already started my paintover and noticed you had some text on your ship 'Libery of the Sea', but i think you flipped your canvas when you saved making it read backwards so I flipped it back and made my numbers backwards on the line critique... lol :)

I also added just a bit more atmosphere and a slight definition of something going on in the bg. It's a  real quick hack paintover but hopefully it helps some.

Thanks for doing the work!

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Jennifer Stoneking
#36 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:31:06 PM(UTC)

Hooray! I'm really proud of this one, I worked all day on this, after a week of going "WHAT DO I DO?!?!", and deciding to try my hand on improving my week 7 painting. (And, hopefully Horia will see this and think that I did a better job than my poor week 1 submission. >__>;; )

Also, a big thanks to Levi for doing a small paintover for my week 6 submission--I often forget that a lot of painting is actually planning, and it was a good reminder of that. I tried to keep in mind the perspective in the painting below, using some of the ideas about plotting out what can and can't be seen.

I worked out the proportions better, so she looks leaner and less stout (although being stout isn't necessarily a bad thing... She just looks more real now. :D ). I had to fudge the lighting a lot on this, because I forgot about the two sources of lighting, and I worked on her face to make it look less weird. It still needs a lot of work, but please comment and critique!

Jennifer Stoneking - 052911 - Figure 2

Jennifer Stoneking
#37 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 12:10:40 PM(UTC)

Edit to yesterday's piece: Fixed some lighting issues, worked on the stairs a little bit more. I'm a little bit hesitant to jump in and try to add color to it, because I feel like I have some good values going on. What do you guys do when you get to that point of adding color?

Jennifer Stoneking - 053011 - Figure 2 (2)