FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

5 Pages«<345
A collection of all instructor feedback in one thread
Levi Hopkins
#81 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 3:31:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Patrick-

Thanks for pumping out a bunch of thumbnails! That's totally awesome and the only way I know for myself to get any better practiceeeeeeee!

On the batch of thumbnails i'm posting below a lot of your images are losing any sort of perspective cues. I've overlaid just a few quick grids on some just to show you a subtle tweak on these and they will read a lot better and not as flat. At this stage you can even copy, paste, and use the transform tool to start nudging some of these into perspective. Image number 9 you started to pull in some converging lines which helped.

I wanted to mention that when i do thumbnails I don't start with any sort of grid or vanishing points. I let them come to me more free-form because if I lay down a grid immediately I tend to only follow the perspective lines and lose all the emotion, design, and just pure fun in the image. I will quickly establish a horizon line and from there as I progress through the image build in my vanishing points once I have a clear direction.

I also wanted to point out that your color thumbs, specifically the 1st one has a lot of energy and envokes a feeling of wonder from me with just those few brushstrokes you did, so bravo! You however lost that feeling in the subsequent images and specifically the more polished pieces have lost a lot of life.

Anyways, thanks again for the hard work.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#82 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 4:18:09 PM(UTC)

Jared-

Kicking ass yah!

So my comments for you are more along the lines of style versus clarity. First off, you're really developing a nice textural quality in your work: nice brush strokes, varying textures, good hue varation. The main problem I see for you right now is balancing your style with portraying a clear illustration, design, or concept for your clients. A lot of your images are very hectic because of your nice style leaving no clear contrasting rest for the eye. At moments in your image you should let the eye relax with moments of peace. Now how you go about this is totally up to you but maybe creating a few clear large brushstrokes to contrast the chaos. Maybe a few areas where the texture subsides, becoming secondary to the brushstroke. Also, working on the overall clarity, a lot of these are super pretty to look at, great for personal work, but some may be confusing compositionally or design wise.

I really want you to keep pushing this style you have going, so don't pull back, just try to push in some of these ideas or concepts.

Below I just did a few quick tweaks to two of your images, one thing i noticed is that you're really pushing the blacks, try pulling back on some images. Also look to incorporate some atomopshere with a bit of softness at moments.

Thanks for all the work-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
Stokes
#83 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 5:36:36 PM(UTC)

Hey David, your work so far has been really great. I share some of the same thoughts as Elias regarding your recent city pic and thought I'd do a quick paintover as  a suggestion. I know how hard it is to downplay some of the cool details especially when they were all modeled out but I think the added atmoshpere will help the piece read better overall.

Stokes
#84 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 9:10:30 PM(UTC)

Hey Jared, I really liked your first 3d paintover with the pillar hallway. I did a quick paintover on your other one to remind you that its ok to change the design and lose the main 3d understructure if needed. It still helps to have it there as a base but it shouldn't stifle any creativity. Hope that helps and keep up the awesome work!

Stokes
#85 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 10:44:25 PM(UTC)

Hey Dr. Wong, I really love the textures and color in this piece. I think it might work better if you widen the canvas and punch more holes through the structure to emphasize the weakness of the structure. In my quick paintover some of the posts and beams got a bit thick so the scale got a little wonky.

Stokes
#86 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:59:42 PM(UTC)

Hey Andrew, I also see a lot of potential in a foundry scene. Before you go much further I would really encourage you to dig up some reference for the scene to help inform the modeling and painting stages. Here are a few reference images that I thought looked cool along with a painting Daniel Dociu did for Guildwars Factions. You can even see that some of the first image was used as a jumping off point for his piece. That's the power of finding cool reference. Feel free to use these images but I also encourage you to find some other cool ones to inspire your scene. Can't wait to see what this turns into:)

Levi Hopkins
#87 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:11:56 PM(UTC)

Marisa-

Thanks for doing all those thumbnails, booyah!

Just a few crits for you to think about. Your images are lacking any real perspective. Most of the images below only had parallel lines running flat across the surface, they never converge anywhere and this makes it difficult to get any depth into an image. No matter how crazy your atomosphere is without any hints at where a vanishing point may be will just flatten your images to hell and back. :)

On your first image you created for this series you hinted at some perspective on the bottom bridge but didn't really follow through with the rest of the structures. Any perspective that is there is very timid, so I recommend pushing some of these elements like i did in a mini-paintover. All i did was copy and paste your brushstrokes and warped them enough to guide the eye.

The last image you did below has some great atomosphere but again no real perspective cues. Even just throwing in a ground plane via copying your whole image and warping it into perspective can help guide the eye through the image. Also, amp up that little satellite thingie you got going on, go big or go home! :)

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#88 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:40:55 PM(UTC)

Elias-

Nice! These trees feel a lot more exploratory and I can see your thought process as you move from one to the other. I really liked your first tree treatment enough that you should push it through to a few more variations with foilage. Don't be afraid to C&P the detail you already painted pushing it into some of your other designs. I also like that you played with a different theme from one tree to the next: fat, thick and thin, tall and short, twisted versus straight. These are great things to keep in mind as you flesh out your designs!

Nice work-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#89 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:58:14 AM(UTC)

Jennifer-

I did a real quick paintover of your spaceship piece. Just a few notes to think about, when doodling a vehicle or ship think about the mid-point of the ship or basically a line that intersects directly down the middle cutting the object in two. From this mid-point you can plot out your wing distances or calculate if you should actually see something on the farside of the vehicle. The next thing to do would be once you have your basic form down think about the contour of the surfaces and draw some segments, panel lines, or anything else to help indicate the form. I noticed you did this a bit but in other areas it was way off.

I also noticed you had some straight lines from the nose of the ship, maybe your perspective grid, but even if it is it's a bit off and fighting with the form of your ship. :)

I had already started my paintover and noticed you had some text on your ship 'Libery of the Sea', but i think you flipped your canvas when you saved making it read backwards so I flipped it back and made my numbers backwards on the line critique... lol :)

I also added just a bit more atmosphere and a slight definition of something going on in the bg. It's a  real quick hack paintover but hopefully it helps some.

Thanks for doing the work!

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#90 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:42:42 PM(UTC)

Ryan-

Hey thanks for doing my assignment, you pumped out a bunch. They are lookin real good, some i'd just take straight to finish with just a few tweaks. Below I have just a few adjustments I would do to your thumbnails.

The first thumb is really nice, good job. I feel there is a disconnect on the scale within the image. The guys in the foreground feel almost like they are on the same plane as the building closest to the viewer. But when you look out across the vista you're implying these buildings are a lot larger. So the way i fixed this, one way out of many, was to really increase the scale of your foreground building and then threw a scale reference dude on it. I also pushed the scale overall of the buildings and added a few more distant ones to the vista. Go big or go home is the arenanet philosophy! :)

I really liked the shape of your buildings, they felt a bit squashed though so I stretched them a tad more vertical just for exaggeration sake. I liked the idea of the smooth shapes you have on the buildings and thought contrasting that with a bit of a destroyed look on the shadowed side could add more of a story to the image. Contrasting design elements within the actual design of an object is a nice way to build interest for the eye.

Finally I just pushed the nice lighting you had going a bit more to pop the atmosphere a bit.

The second image really you've established everything necessary: great mood, solid scale, nice rendering. I think the only thing missing is the epic side of it which was done just buy pushing the depth a tad more by adding more columns.

Really nice work overall, you know what you're doing for sure so just keep going!

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
Daniel Dociu
#91 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:34:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes, FP Instructor

Stokes
#92 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 12:15:36 PM(UTC)

Hey Patrick, Here are a few suggestions for this badass warrior dude. The guys original pose seemed like he was riding the spear like a witch broom stick or something so I chanded the stance. I also lowered the right leg becuase I felt the forced perspective you had was a little extreme and didnt match the torso. Overall I think you have some really cool stuff going on here and Im excited to see the finished results.