FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Troubles with textures (UE4) SOS JASON!
Alex Eugie Valdes
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:25:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: ZBrush, 3D Modeling
Man

Howdy Yall, 

Im pretty decent at modelling in 3Ds Max and Importing models into UE4. But learning how to use the material editor and using the quixel suite correctly and putting textures onto 3d models in engine are just my worst nightmare. I built a fence in 3ds max I unwrapped it and then got confused with the material sub ids. So then I used one 1024 pi texture and put it on one surface of the fence but now it wont allow me to get the other side of the fence because its black? If anyone has good workflow ideas for texturing models please send it my way or if you know good tutorials on workflow with textures that would be awesome. I feel very clumsy with texturing. I know how to use crazybump as well, which is how I did the normal map for the fence you see below. 

Fence texture problem

Texture Problems

Montana
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 4:08:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling

I believe the backside of your model is black because the lighting isn't built.  Above your viewport, hit the arrow to the right of build, and hit build lighting only.  That should fix that problem.

As far as your textures, Unreal handles material IDs as material elements.  To the right of your viewport, in the static mesh options, you can see you have your material applied to only element 0.  Apply it to elements 1 and 2 and you should be good!

Let me know if you have any other problems!

Alex Eugie Valdes
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2015 11:36:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: ZBrush, 3D Modeling
Man

IT WORKED !!! Thank you MONTANA