FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Quick PS trick to remove lighting from photo-sourced textures
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:39:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling

Hey folks,

Now that lighting in your albedo/base color is the devil in PBR, I found this trick buried in the Unreal 4 forums that has saved me tons of time removing lighting info from organic photo-based textures.

(Source: User King Mango near the very bottom of the first page in this thread)

I don't have video skills, so I'm just gonna have to type it up :) 

First: Start with a photo like this:

Drop your source photo into crazy bump and play with the  diffuse settings to get a good base. I usually kick "remove shadows" up pretty high, and bump up "remove highlights" just a tad.

Copy the result to clipboard and drop it into Photoshop.

Next, go to Select > Color Range and use the eye dropper to select the darkest area of a shadow. This will select all your shadows, and you can fine tune your selection with the "fuzziness" slider. 

With this selection, go to  Select > Modify > Expand, and expand your selection by a set pixel amount depending on the size of your image. For this one I used 6px.

Now run Select > Modify > Feather to feather the selection by rougly half the pixel size you expanded your selection by on the last step. I used 3px

Lastly, go to Filters > Other > Offset. This will move other areas of the photo into your shadows and remove them. Play with the sliders till you have the least amount of shadows possible.

You might have to repeat this selection and offset process one more time to remove all your shadows, but now you have a really good start to an albedo texture, color texture for polypainting rocks in Zbrush, whatever!

Here's the final result:

Hope that saves everyone some time and thanks to King Mango, whoever you are!