FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Amazon - Changing the Game
John Ehresmann
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2016 4:24:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling

Somehow I missed this tidbit of news, but Amazon now owns the CryEngine...and has released their own version of it, free of charge in Amazon Lumberyard. Downloading it now to see how it compares, but it looks pretty simalir right down to the workflow.

Amazon Lumberyard

ChrisCunningham
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:49:19 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online 3D Modeling

Ya I saw that on Polycount the day it came out. I have not messed with it. I wish they would just go ahead and make importing as simple as Unreal 4
John Ehresmann
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:01:20 PM(UTC)

ChrisCunningham wrote:
Ya I saw that on Polycount the day it came out. I have not messed with it. I wish they would just go ahead and make importing as simple as Unreal 4

It's pretty neat, but I think CryEngine is still easier to use for the time being, as weird as that is to say. Some things still aren't working as I'd expect them to

ChrisCunningham
#4 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 8:52:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online 3D Modeling

Just in order to make anything look good in UE4 you have to be good at the material node editor. At least in Cryengine if your materials are good, they look good in game :).
John Ehresmann
#5 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 11:32:20 PM(UTC)

ChrisCunningham wrote:
Just in order to make anything look good in UE4 you have to be good at the material node editor. At least in Cryengine if your materials are good, they look good in game :).

I'm pretty solid with the node editor, had the 'pleasure' of going to school for Game Art, so at least I walked away with a solid understanding of the material editor. Honestly it comes more down to putting the extra work into foliage, having to paint the verts, then in the material editor add in the math for the wind, and troubleshoot all of that if it goes wrong.

I still like it, and enjoy the engine, just some days I question if I want to do all of that ;) for a quick screen shot haha