FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Creating Textures from Scratch (Need crits on the process and workflow)
Alex Eugie Valdes
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 11:31:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: ZBrush, 3D Modeling
Man

Hey Yall,

I'm in the process of figuring out textures and I found a process online through PhillipK.net. Basically I Blocked out the placeholder texture, and added a lot of edges to the blockout in 3ds max, then I imported it over to zbrush and sculpted the fine details and added some alphas to it, after that I Baked down the Sculpt and produced a Normal Map and an AO map. Sent it through Crazy bump and got some interesting results when I applied it over to Unreal Engine. What would you say about this process of creating materials from scratch? Am I on the right track? 
Dropbox Link:

kysg
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 7:18:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling

Nothing wrong with process.  That process is very common.  Though there are few other workflows you will find out there.

SethB
#3 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 8:40:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting

I can't look at your dropbox link right now -- don't know if it's because I'm on a work computer or if the link is no Bueno, so I can't speak to your work as of right now.  The process sounds simplified but fine to me though I don't know what you mean about "added some alphas to it", but that could be because I can't see your image.  The first texture I produced from a normal map sculpt was done the same way -- I followed a tutorial on either gnomon or digital tutors but I couldn't find the link for you.  I outlined the process in my blog http://sethblakely.blogs...nt-tileable-texture.html if you wanna take a look at it.  I've since moved onto creating all tileable textures in Substance Designer as iteration and changes can be done more efficiently, but sculpting a normal map is still a good and valid process -- especially when you get really good at it.  I hope this helps and I'll try to take a look at the image on a different computer!
-Seth
Also, I have to use photobucket to post images on these forums, dropbox doesn't link properly for me -- just in case you wanna give that a try  :)