FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Baking Issues in 3ds Max (Sheetmetal Texture)
Alex Eugie Valdes
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2016 9:55:14 AM(UTC)

Groups: ZBrush, 3D Modeling
Man

So Ive been having a lot of issues with baking a Highpoly model from zbrush. The zbrush model has a bunch of rust texture alphas on it. I imported it into 3ds max as an obj file and went through the process of High Poly to Low Poly bake with cage reset and everything but I cant seem to get any clear normal maps or AO maps. It has been super frustrating. Please help? there are some images below to give an idea of what im doing. 

File Attachment(s):
baking error.JPG (313kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
baking error.JPG (313kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
Toxicspartan94 attached the following image(s):
Baking layer.JPG
Trish Hrafnaharr
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2016 12:56:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting, Online 3D Modeling

You know how fresh I am to this, but, when exporting from ZBrush, I found that some alphas don't follow out of zbrush to obj, unless you "Makepolymesh3d" before exporting. May not help and I may be wrong, but, it's worth a try.
Alex Eugie Valdes
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2016 10:56:58 PM(UTC)

Man

By the way to the rest of you reading this topic. This fixed the problem for me. If you have a high poly on zbrush with only alphas on it. Make sure you hit "Makepolymesh3d" then when you send it back into 3ds max if should bake down a lot better. I got frustrated trying to get a clean Normal map. For some reason my AO map turned out decent. I sent that map through crazybump and then crazybump generated a clean Normal map. Now I got a texture to work with that I built from scratch. 

SethB
#4 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 9:59:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting

I haven't asked Jason if he's ever used it or not yet but I do all of my baking in xNormal -- its free, easier to use than maya (haven't tried max yet), and I've never had an issue with quality. All you have to do in max/maya is export your high and low poly meshes with all your transforms zeroed out, import to xNormal, choose maps and file path, then bake. You can bake pretty much any and all maps you need: AO, normal, height, etc. though I mostly use it for normal and height maps.

If you wanna give it a go: http://www.xnormal.net/
Alex Eugie Valdes
#5 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 11:01:01 AM(UTC)

Man

Ya so I recentely just got xNormal and its a super great tool for baking and I love it. But its still giving me that same results . I managed to bake a somewhat okay AO map from 3ds max. I used that. And then transfered the AO map and converted it to a normal from Crazy bump and got some decent looking results on there. I keep playing around and trouble shooting. I think for now. Im gonna have to put this sheet metal texture on the backburner have spent way too much time troubleshooting trying to make it work. 

SethB
#6 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 1:22:20 PM(UTC)

This is just a guess but check your normals and make sure that your projection mesh is positioned on the correct side of your high poly.
kysg
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:56:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling

would concentrate on getting a good normal map/height map, you shouldn't be super constrained to your 3d app for baking the AO.  You can always generate a new AO from crazybump/knald.

Was never a huge fan of generating a normal off of the diffuse or AO.  Results are mixed.

SethB
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:49:38 AM(UTC)

I agree with James -- normal/height maps are what all other texture maps should be derived from. Your quality will take a hit otherwise. Check the normals of your mesh and make sure your projection mesh is oriented properly. I haven't run into this issue in a long time and I can't find anything helpful online -- I do remember this issue being caused by normal orientation, projection mesh orientation, and baking settings. Hopefully this helps!