FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

4 Pages<1234>
Patrick Bloom WIP
Patrick Bloom
#21 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 7:16:42 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

Here are some more book cover compositions, one of them is heavily infulenced by Ashley Wood ( I hope that's okay). The other painting was done fairly quickly, and isn't exactly graphic, but I used things that I haved learned thus far in the course, so I decided to throw it on here. I'm free to any critiques and comments!!

Patrick Bloom
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:30:57 PM(UTC)

Another speed painting using techniques from all the lectures thus far... and there are horns. I have never really done that much fantasy/badass stuff, so let me know if it sucks or not

David Morgado
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:00:31 PM(UTC)

Hi Patrick!

I've took a looksie at your entire thread. I think you are improving in terms of composition (from the second last image to the last image you made quite a leap!).
However, I think you need to try to be more varied in the edges. You barely have any hard edges in the images, and they suffer for it. Now don't go all hard edges either. Put them in the right place (for instance, the highlight on the helmet of the foreground figure), and magic will happen :)

Having said that, I too need to get some variety ...on my comments, since its the 3rd or 4th time tonight that I write about edges :P

Hope that helps
Patrick Bloom
#24 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:54:17 PM(UTC)

Hey David, Thanks for looking through my thread. I have been looking through your work quite a bit and have been most impressed. About the hard edges.. yeah you caught me, I really need to start adding them in. That will be one of my goals for now on in my work. I'll work on that last image for sure and see if I can make create some clarity with some crsip edges!!

Here are some sketchs I did trying to get some better compostions and color ideas

Horia Dociu
#25 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 7:53:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

There's a lot of nice stuff going on here, I especially love the colors. Now, I'm not picking on this picture, but since it's finished, I can point out a lot of stuff since I know it won't be addressed later in the process.

1- the composition is segmented into parts. Instead of being separated into a 1, 2, 3 read- each quarter is equally important, therefor nothing is important. I scaled up the guys so that either they could be the focus, or the foreground element secondary read, right now they're just tacked on at the bottom. Also, overlapping shapes helps with depth more than atmospheric perspective ever could. The overlapping also helps in the other elements, like not making the mountains follow the countour of hte building, that just looks too convenient aka fake. It's natural for us to want to do that, keep elements out of each others way, but nature doesn't adhere to composition.

2- the scale in your actual design is all over the place. You've got a little window with a windowsill, then an inch down, there's tiny trucks, it throws the viewer way off. Watch your scale cues, not just putting objects in for scale, but also minding the type of construction and its functionality at various scales.

3- that antenna shooting a laser, besides being too distracting to be in the corner, or too cornered to be a focal point, has more scale issues of its own. It's huge in scale, but in design looks more like an old tv antenna. Watch where you get your reference.

4- everything needs to be based in reality, and some of your architecture is just nonsense. That weird floating building with posts coming out of it, not only does it look like its a small room up there when in fact its a giant hanger size warehouse, but it's just floating on two posts. Ever seen a table even do that? Let alone a giant building?

Hope that helps!

Patrick Bloom
#26 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 7:37:38 PM(UTC)

First off, thank you Horia for taking a look at my work and giving me such an in-depth critique!! I still have a major problem with creating a strong composition and focal point. I made some new versions and tried to address all of the problems that you mentioned. I think the last one is probably the strongest, but I'm not sure. I added the smoke stacks because they seemed more realistic, but I don't know if they would fit in with this more sci-fi themed... place. I left the windows in on the second one by accident, but my original intention was to have them as big cargo bay doors or something like that, but I didn't convey it very well. Anyways I hope some of these seem like they are heading in the right direction!! Thanks again Horia! :)

George Kritikos
#27 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 7:55:46 PM(UTC)

Man

ooo im really liking the re-do's... the foreground parts are my favourite parts now lol. however, i still think ther r some perspective issues in rgards to the buildings and pathways.

Levi Hopkins
#28 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:57:16 PM(UTC)

Patrick-

Cool stuff, you got a lot of stuff going on here with promise. 

I took one of your bookcover comps, which btw had some cool stuff in it and just did some real minor tweaks. I punched out the FG character with a bit more contrast and the slightest details to pop him a bit off the rock. He was getting lost in the corner and you could totally take this way further than I did, just a few hints from me.

Also, this guy is standing on some sort of cliffside looking at something, but in the orginal there's just a ton of textures and shapes that are pretty indecisive and confusing. I'd recommend making a clear focal point for him to look at. So when someone looks at this image they first see the dude on the cliff (highest contrast), they then follow his gaze through your painting to some sort of badassness in the background. I just put in some brushstrokes completely random hinting at maybe a creature. Anything really would work it's up to what you envisioned!

Thanks for the hard work.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Patrick Bloom
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:16:29 PM(UTC)

Levi, Thanks a lot for the paint over and word of advice!! I moved around some stuff and tried to make a cool creature/ giant thing in the background, but I couldn't seem to get anything gong on the right track. Here is what I have so far on him, I'll keep messing with it, but let me know if there are any ideas on how it could be less lame. Thanks again for the help Levi!!

Patrick Bloom
#30 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:21:20 PM(UTC)

I had some problems installing 3dmax, so I just used google sketch up instead, and here are some of the results. I'd be open for anyone to let me know which one they think is working well, and I'll start to do a paint over... or if they all suck. haha

Patrick Bloom
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:10:54 PM(UTC)

I'm kind of going back to week one with these, but I was re working some characters. The first one wasn't working that well and ended up looking like a poor attempt at some of kekai's work, but I thought the process work was worth posting.

David Morgado
#32 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 3:25:38 AM(UTC)

Hi Patrick!

You're nailing the 3d exercise IMO. Only comment would be: don't worry about the windows, you can do them faster and more eficiently via texture overlays.

As for the characters, the hooded guy has too short legs.

Hope that helps
Patrick Bloom
#33 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 10:02:13 PM(UTC)

Hey David!

I'm glad that you think my 3d pieces are working well, and yeah that guys legs are pretty stumpy. I'll be coming back to him later though haha. I did a couple of paint-overs, but didn't like the other ones I did. So, I just posted this one. It was a rough process for me, so any advice would be welcome.

Patrick Bloom
#34 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 3:45:29 PM(UTC)

Hokay, here are some scifi thumbnails for Levi's class. Let me know what level of out of control they are.

Fantasy ones coming up next

Roman_Fuhrer
#35 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:33:05 AM(UTC)

Hi Patrick,

I really like your pic you postet at #33. I think the shadow light seperation works well, as well as the depth. The slope on the right side is nice because it leads the eye to the forground figure. You might could get even more contrast if you would put your foreground figures infront of lighter areas in the background. Especially the first two are barley visible. But thats maybe what your were going for.

Anyway I like it.
Patrick Bloom
#36 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:06:12 PM(UTC)

@Roman Thanks for looking and commenting on my thread! I thought about poping the figures out too but it was for the 3d paintover assignment, so I wanted the focous to be on the main building. I'll mess around with it though, thanks!

Here are some fantasy thumbs. I had a hard time getting good compostions and making them look fantasy, but not over the top. Also put up some more bookcover compostions for Richard's assignment. I just got Ashley Wood's World War Robot book so they are heavily influenced by his palette, and the middle one was done after watching kekai's vid. I tried to use the Lasso like in Richard's vid, but I have quite a hard time using it well. Let me know what you think.

Patrick Bloom
#37 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 1:52:46 PM(UTC)

Here are some more scifi thumbnails. I tried some with color and I tried to go with the flow and work with what appeared, but I don't know if that worked very well. The second one i just focused on black and white values and added some photo overlays. The third piece was created from the research base painting I did earlier that Horia critqued. I had the idea of this guy in the control tower watching this massive robot being lifted, mainly by his shoulders, in this robot/ish hanger thing. I'm not really sure if it's working or where to go with it. Any comments would be welcomed :P

Stokes
#38 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 8:01:18 PM(UTC)

Hey Patrick, youre doing some really great work lately. You handled the 3d paintover thing like a champ. It's usually hard to break outside the lines and get the kind of texture in there that you have. Keep it up.

Patrick Bloom
#39 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:38:28 PM(UTC)

Hey Stokes, Thanks a lot for taking a look at my thread! I'm relieved to hear that you liked my 3d paintover. It was kind of tough, but I'll keep working on more so I can get sometype of system figured out.

I thought I would put up my WIP for the week 7 / bad assery assignment. There are a lot of areas that I haven't got to yet, but I thought some different opinions on the character might help before I finish it up. I know the helment isn't ideal for bad assness, but I thought it was kind of an interesting shape. If it's too lame just let me know.

George Kritikos
#40 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:20:40 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey, really kool character so far.

The leg in the distance looks somewhat wrong, to me. Maybe its just 'too' small and too far up?
Also, maybe try SLIGHTLY straightening up his posture as it might give him a more solid stance.

And as for his helmet, my suggestion would to add more layers on top in some way (like the shoulder-armor for example). 

Hope that helps.