FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

4 Pages<1234>
Patrick Bloom WIP
Levi Hopkins
#41 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 3:30:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Patrick-

Thanks for pumping out a bunch of thumbnails! That's totally awesome and the only way I know for myself to get any better practiceeeeeeee!

On the batch of thumbnails i'm posting below a lot of your images are losing any sort of perspective cues. I've overlaid just a few quick grids on some just to show you a subtle tweak on these and they will read a lot better and not as flat. At this stage you can even copy, paste, and use the transform tool to start nudging some of these into perspective. Image number 9 you started to pull in some converging lines which helped.

I wanted to mention that when i do thumbnails I don't start with any sort of grid or vanishing points. I let them come to me more free-form because if I lay down a grid immediately I tend to only follow the perspective lines and lose all the emotion, design, and just pure fun in the image. I will quickly establish a horizon line and from there as I progress through the image build in my vanishing points once I have a clear direction.

I also wanted to point out that your color thumbs, specifically the 1st one has a lot of energy and envokes a feeling of wonder from me with just those few brushstrokes you did, so bravo! You however lost that feeling in the subsequent images and specifically the more polished pieces have lost a lot of life.

Anyways, thanks again for the hard work.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Patrick Bloom
#42 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 6:02:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

@ George

Thanks for the ideas on the character. He's leg has been a bit of a problem, because I wanted to convey the feeling of exaggerated depth between his legs at first and now I'm trying to pull it back. Let me know if it's starting to look better. I tried adding things to the helmet and left the different variations I made up there. The one on the character was the last one i made but I think it looks the most bad ass.

I've got some different ideas for weapons also, but I haven't figured out what type of weapons would suit him because a hammer seems a bit to bulky ( even though I thought it helped the balance of the pose). Either way still have a ways to go.

@Levi

Thanks for taking the time to give me a nice critque!! I'll make sure to keep the horizon and vanishing points in mind when I work on my next thumbs. I had such a problem getting interesting ideas and environments that I wasn't thinking as much about perspective, but don't fear! I will now! haha

In terms of energy, I'm still not sure how to refine an image well and still keep the loose expressive feeling. I'm guessing that stuff just takes time and experince?

anywho, Thanks again.

Patrick Bloom
#43 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 10:43:28 PM(UTC)

Hey guys, so i though a guy holding a severed head would be a step towards hard ass lane. Not sure what I'm going to do with the armor yet but yeah..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OH and this guy is suppose to be pretty big that's why the severed looks small

George Kritikos
#44 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:33:31 AM(UTC)

Man

I reckon your spot on with the final helm on your first character.

and that second dude reminds me of the executioner character from resident evil 5 game :P

maybe draw inspiration from there.

Patrick Bloom
#45 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:08:04 PM(UTC)

@George

Damn! I wasn't even thinking about that guy when I was designing him! haha. Guess I'll have to be more original next time. Here's some color on this guy, but I don't think the leather and metal are combining well. I've been trying to figure out something cool for his shoulder pads without putting skulls or something.

George Kritikos
#46 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:03:14 AM(UTC)

Man

haha its funny how somethign looks familiar to someone else as soon as they see it and meanwhile, as the creater you may not be at all aware of the similarities it has with something that already exists.

not sure if you're fully against skeletons in general for this character or just the idea of having a skull as a shoulder pad, but what if you were to extract a shape from a skeleton (even look at animal skeletons) and make it fit the shape of the shoulder.

Maybe not the best suggestion, but food for thought I guess...

One thing I think you should look at again is the helmet. I think its structure looks a little flimsy. At the same time, why not testing multiple layers of leather (torn leather also) lol.

Patrick Bloom
#47 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:07:38 PM(UTC)

Hokay, here is another update. I took some of your advice George and thought that the bull skull looked cool on his shoulder and layer a bit of leather on his helmet. I went back to black and white because I thought the values needed some help. I don't know if i'll go into color on this guy. Are three severed heads better than two?????

Patrick Bloom
#48 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:52:54 PM(UTC)

After yesterday's lecture and Levi's critique about perspective I thought it would be best for me to go back to some of my thumbnails and work on perspective, composition, and values. I thought 4, 5, and 9 were working better, but I still feel like I have a bad tendincy to split compositions in half. I'd welcome any comments or critiques.

LukeFarinella
#49 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 9:46:24 AM(UTC)

awesome stuff man. I am especially loving the knight guy.

Patrick Bloom
#50 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 5:16:30 PM(UTC)

@Luke, Thanks man I'm glad you like my stuff!!

I thought I would post this interior that I was working on today. I'm trying to do three or four basic stories and then create a character, vehicle, and environment for each. I already have a character for this environment, but he is on paper. I'll do a digital rough of him soon. I think this world is mostly artic so the vehicle will have a lot things added to it, in terms of a plow, treads, and other gear that be good for the snow. I started with a line drawing which is wierd for me, but that's why there are still a lot of messy line underneath the tones.

Patrick Bloom
#51 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:58:55 PM(UTC)

Anyother update on the vehicle/ hanger/ place. Added some more detail and worked on the furnace/ pipes in the background.

Stokes
#52 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 12:14:56 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Hey Patrick, Here are a few suggestions for this badass warrior dude. The guys original pose seemed like he was riding the spear like a witch broom stick or something so I chanded the stance. I also lowered the right leg becuase I felt the forced perspective you had was a little extreme and didnt match the torso. Overall I think you have some really cool stuff going on here and Im excited to see the finished results.

Patrick Bloom
#53 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:43:55 PM(UTC)

Hey Stokes, thanks for the ideas and paint over on my character. It's much appreciated. I made all the changes that you suggested and tried to take some of your ideas with the helmet a bit further. It’s crazy how much a little color can make a character pop out of the page. Also, here's a character sheet I did before I saw Stokes critique. I'm horrible at line drawings and keeping things symmetrical, but I was trying to make it good enough so a modeler would have a decent time trying to make it.

Patrick Bloom
#54 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:18:50 PM(UTC)

Working on a character to go with my hanger base place. He's a mechanic

George Kritikos
#55 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:57:16 PM(UTC)

Man

i love the helm alot now. and yeh, the red really did spike up an interesting look to the character.

your next character is looking alright, only the head gear seems a little boring to me though.

Patrick Bloom
#56 Posted : Friday, June 03, 2011 2:20:21 PM(UTC)

@ George, Yeah with this guy I was trying to make him simplified and work on values and trying to show better form ( that might be why it's kind of boring). I put up some of the different helment sketchs i had. Let me know if you like one of these better.

Elias Aboulkacem
#57 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 4:03:38 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey Patrick!

Really like your warrior! Also your sheet looks nice - one minor thing: you forgot to flip the back view of the dude in the orthographics - but well thats just peanuts ;)

For your mechanic design: I like the helmet design - feels fresh - Some suggestions:

I think you could work on repeating some of the shapes/elements you already have in the helmet throughout the character so it feels more as one set - I already see some cool possibilities for esp knee and shoulder armor ;)

I'd also like to see some tools or parts that show of him being a mechanic - stuff built in his armor like welding torches or some stuff to measure things, welding safety googles or a mechanical arm to assist him at his work even though thats already been done quite often ;)

well just my thoughts, hope some of them help - keep up the nice work mate!

LukeFarinella
#58 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 5:32:13 PM(UTC)

Hey Patrick! Your paintover helped out a lot so I figured I would return the favour. (if you don't mind a critique from a lesser artist)

I still think the pose is a bit un-natural so I made a few tweaks. And although this is preference... I think he needs something on top of his head like Jason drew!

hope it helps.... cheers!

George Kritikos
#59 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:09:53 PM(UTC)

Man

I like #4 a lot but i think #5 is a very good alternative to the original helm concept.

All of em are really good though.

Patrick Bloom
#60 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:42:15 PM(UTC)

@ Elias, Thanks for the spot on the ortho's, haha I didn't even notice it. I'm working on some stuff for the mechanic to make him more believeable, but things are slow going. I played around with an idea for a little helper bot that he has. Thanks for the ideas!

@Luke, A lesser artist?? haha We're all learning! Thanks for the paintover. I made all of the changes except for the head thing, because I'm still not sure if I want it on there ;P. I'll have a more refined version of it up later hopefully.

@George, Thanks man. I'll keep working on them.

Here is a deisgn for a little project of my own that I am working on. I'm trying to come up with cool scifi armor for a soldier/ security guy. It's a little strange, but I trying to make something semi original.