FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Steampunk City
Marc Thompson
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:32:28 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling

Hey guys, I'm Marc Thompson, I took the class this summer and have been super busy with this scene since.  I never got the opportunity to get some crits from Jason, so that would be awesome and much appreciated.  Note that this isn't finished, but I'm working very hard to close it up within the next two weeks because Digipen is starting back up.  Here's the link to my Polycount progress thread: http://www.polycount.com.../showthread.php?t=102330  Original concept by Pete Amachree

Nikhil Naidu
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:05:06 PM(UTC)

I'm fairly sure I've told you this already Marc but this is damn good stuff! It's looking really nice.
Stokes
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 5:14:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

ey Marc, 
This is looking really good and you've done so much since last class. Here are a few suggestions that mostly involve the back building. I think doing a series of alpha gears will help add a lot of perceived complexity to the scene. Adding in additional arches and supports under the bridge and walkway will help get rid of those pesky strait edges.
Also there seams to be quite a bit of scale inconsistencies. For instance you have at least 2 different sizes for the lamps and it ends up throwing everything off slightly. The smaller you make objects that we identify with on a day to day basis the more epic everything else will seem. Right now some of the set dressing ends up dwarfing the buildings and making them seem cartoonish. 
Overall easy fixes and I'm really excited to see this bad boy finished... Your getting so close :) 

Hey Marc, 

This is looking really good and you've done so much since last class. Here are a few suggestions that mostly involve the back building. I think doing a series of alpha gears will help add a lot of perceived complexity to the scene. Adding in additional arches and supports under the bridge and walkway will help get rid of those pesky strait edges.

Also there seams to be quite a bit of scale inconsistencies. For instance you have at least 2 different sizes for the lamps and it ends up throwing everything off slightly. The smaller you make objects that we identify with on a day to day basis the more epic everything else will seem. Right now some of the set dressing ends up dwarfing the buildings and making them seem cartoonish. 

Overall easy fixes and I'm really excited to see this bad boy finished... Your getting so close :) 

paintover

Marc Thompson
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 5:24:58 PM(UTC)

Awesome crit, Jason, thanks a bunch. The larger lamps had been bugging me, I'll definitely change that. I'll probably also push that steampunk silhouette -- I had intended to go for it before but I got an earlier crit saying it was looking too industrial. I think the better choice is to just go for it and push the contrasting elements.

I also happen to have a vehicle in the works that will looks awesome once it's in. And ropes, definitely lots of ropes.

Thanks again!