FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

5 Pages123>»
A collection of all instructor feedback in one thread
Stokes
#1 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 10:41:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Instructors will repost all feedback and paintovers in this thread along with a side by side comparison to the students original pieces.

Stokes
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:00:14 AM(UTC)

Hey Cameron, one of the first things I noticed with these is they didn't seem to have a clear function associated with the design. You have some sort of battle droid but it has the frame work of something much less menacing. I might have gone a little overboard with my paintover but I think it's important for it's purpose to read instantly and from far away. Also play around with photo overlays if your having trouble coming up with specific details like the guns or legs mechanics.

Kekai
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:50:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor, Online Classes

I did some small tweaks to your thumbs, the main thing is I thought your stuff was getting a little on the noisey side and lacking a strong shape. I took out most of the spikes and introduced more smooth contours. This sets up a rhythm of noise and calm. Good showing though, like #9 with the turtle shell.

Kekai
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:51:57 PM(UTC)

Like where you are heading with this one. Did a quick paint to show some possible changes. I like Phil's comment of the desaturated color scheme. I think maybe the hair can have a tad bit more pizazz. I also did some quick selection and transform to add some extra movement to the clothe. I think there is always a point where you can start devianting from the thumb after a certain point.

Kekai
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:54:34 PM(UTC)

Here some quick notes on this guy. The strong lighting on one side of the figure does not lend itself well to showing the form of the character. I toned down the lights and added some more rendering to the opposite side. The top knot I enlarged because I thought it would lend itself to a more exciting figure. I copy/pasted some of the armor bits to suggest some ways you might go about the rest of the armor set. Also I thnk the end of the spear could use a bit more excitment to the shape. Hope this helps.

Horia Dociu
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:03:01 PM(UTC)

I did a couple rough paintovers for Ryan... and while mine ae not as nice and clean as his, and they're a bit muddy, the point I'm trying to get a corss is that you can push the proportions and make them look more beefy and dynamic rather than regular folks in costumes. With costumes you always want to excentuate the layers. If they're wearing armor, make it double thick. It sells the illustion, it helps the silhouette, and if its for a game and it demands its own geomerty, you gotta make it count :)

Kekai
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:01:21 PM(UTC)

I like these. You are not too far off with them. I thnk all you need is some slight adjustments to the figure with the help of some lighting to really punch the character through. Making sure different parts of the body are in front or in back of each can a lot. Also like paint on this one, it has a nice feel.

Horia Dociu
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:44:49 PM(UTC)

It's not worth doing two illustrations, but a rough sketch to help you understand what's happening under a costume can help you make sure the character feels real and could actually work...

In creature design, some artists even sketch out the skeleton based on a real animal to help them make sure they're building something plausible and thus selling the design.

Horia Dociu
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:06:51 PM(UTC)

Reference is your friend. Drawing without planning and reference is like screaming instead of singing.

Levi Hopkins
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:22:54 AM(UTC)

Marek-

I did a real quick paintover of one of your poses. A lot of your characters are very stiff standing straight up, with just a few transform tool tweaks of your base image and a couple brush strokes you can modify the figure without much additional work. The axe also looked like a limp banana, feel free to experiment with shapes on a weapon or staff or whatever your characters are holding, have fun and keep em coming!

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:58:43 PM(UTC)

Eric-

Nice work, you're just on the cusp of getting some weight in these guys, just exaggerate a step beyond where you're comfortable right now. I think the first sketch you were real close playing with weight just a few adjustments. Your swat guys have straight spines, bend those like a spine does naturally and get some more flair. Thanks and keep it up!

EDIT: THe 3rd character is great, he has some real attitude, just realize that he's holding that giant club and that would put weight on his shoulder, right now his shoulder girdle feels unaffected. Also push that weight down into his legs.

Bongo Bong.
Kekai
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:21:45 PM(UTC)

I selected your figures and turned them black. I then made some small tweaks to show how playing with the shiloette of the figure can create interest. The painted figures are rather contained in design but going back to shiloette we can add some excitement. I also tweked one your figures to show how it would look after the shilouette adjustment. Hope this helps! Keep it up.

Levi Hopkins
#13 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 9:11:29 AM(UTC)

Jared-

Nice silouettes and great start to a refined character. I think it's real close and with a few adjustments it can get there. I did a quick paintover of some suggestions, at the moment he reads flat, but if you push back some edges that wrap around the contour of the body and haze out the limbs furthest from the viewer you can add some depth. Also, feel free to add some spice to the weapon or not make it symmetrical on both ends. I know some weapons do have symmetry, but the contrast is nice here on a staff like weapon. I also pushed out the blacks a bit, they were reading real strong.

Nice work though, thanks!

-L

Bongo Bong.
Stokes
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:26:42 AM(UTC)

Hello Cameron, I agree that the brush you chose is interfering with the design. I think this one has promise and if you go in with a hard edged white brush and refine the edges you’ll start finding more interesting shapes. Keep going with these and you’ll be used to that wacom in no time :)

Levi Hopkins
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:29:55 PM(UTC)

Edwin-

Nice work, i'm able to get a story from this character even without your write-up.

Only a few suggestions:

1)  Right now the fabric just reads flat, it should wrap around the contour of the underlying shoulder.

2) I'm losing the read of the legs at the hips. There's not a clear definition between the front and back leg, tighten this up and it will read a lot better.

3) The intersection here is real timid, i'd say either move the back leg completely away from the front our push the overlap more and push back the values on the leg furthest from the viewer.

Great work, i'm excited for your environments!

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:48:16 PM(UTC)

Will-

Nice, i'd suggest pushing your gestures a bit more. You have a good foundation here going, but thinking about the shifting of the shoulders contrasting the weight of the hips, etc, and you will get this to another level.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:55:55 PM(UTC)

Keep the work up, i made a tweak to one of your silo's below, i'd recommend exploring interesting shapes more, wings are a great opportunity to get some funky shapes going or ideas.

-L

Bongo Bong.
Stokes
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:02:50 PM(UTC)

Hey Cary, I like the textures you have blocked in on this one but some of the proportions are off. Here is a suggestion for the underlying structure. I think this ones gonna look good :)

Stokes
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:18:28 PM(UTC)

These are sweet Paul, tons of character! Here are a few suggestions about the proportions and posing. After these minor tweaks I think it's time to start overlaying some color and texture and see what happens.

Levi Hopkins
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:18:34 PM(UTC)

Simon-

Nice characters, i'd suggest thinking about a strong light source with some of these drawings. Right now they feel like there's no real confident lighting scheme going on. Mine is just a quick adjustment, with a bit more rendering you can give this character a lot of attitude.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.