FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

5 Pages<12345>
A collection of all instructor feedback in one thread
Levi Hopkins
#41 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:08:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Danilo-

I did a quick paintover of your piece. I felt like it read flat due to no real clear definition between your foreground (the character) and midground (the rock). Also, it would be nice if the rock receeded into the distance. You can do this by hazing it out and pushing the values back.

Also, the rock feels very blobby and has a consistent texture and shape from left to right on your canvas. You want to give an opportunity for the eye to rest and not be overwhelmed by an even texture spread across the canvas.

Rocks are a great opportunity to just let your mind wander and experiment with shapes so i recommend really pushing things: use the transform tool, erase things out, copy and paste pieces directly within your canvas, etc.... On my paintover you basically provided everything for me and i did very little actual painting.

Nice work though and lets see what's next!

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Stokes
#42 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:07:38 AM(UTC)

Hey Johann, I like what you have going on here so far. Here are a few changes you might want to consider. In my paintover I tried to clean up the negative space between the legs so that it looks more dynamic. I also moved the right arm a little back and made the hand rest on the hip more naturally. Next I overlayed a bunch of armor textures to see if any cool designs appeared. I also changed the weapon to a helmet becuase I felt it worked with the pose better, and lastly I threw in a severed head for good measure :) 

Horia Dociu
#43 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:36:27 PM(UTC)

I love the colors, and you managed to maintain the energy the sketches had, which were very nice, but now the problem is it's all too messy. The silhouette is a bit over the top with those crazy hands (that look broken to be honest) and despite the nice pose, the creature looks flat and its hard to tel what's really going on there. I tried to maintain all your details, though personally I'd simplify this quite a bit and keep the details for important garnish, but anyway, by really pushing the layering of clothes (drop shadows and continuing them out past the silhouette) I was able to better describe what was on top of what, and make be less camouflaged and hidden in the details.

flaptraps
#44 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:11:33 AM(UTC)

Hi Kelli,  I agree with tom i feel like this piece has some cool good stuff going, and i like that you want to put a dragon in there, but i did a paint over where i thought it would be more helpful to describe the massive space between the mountains and sky and sea with a flock of dragons showing with atmoshpere the space between them as well. hope it helps, great work!

cheers Rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#45 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:17:34 AM(UTC)

Hi Darrin,

I like the variation in shapes in this piece and it has a cool look to it, it's hard to describe exactly where i think some things would help so i just did a piant over, but i think playing with some cool pattern of finer shaps contrasting with the larger shapes would be super cool, but here it is hope it helps with some direction:) great work.

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#46 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:23:18 AM(UTC)

Hi CW,

I like a lot of the direction your going, the one piece i saw that i think could be super cool, i played with a couple things, and not sure if you down with the direction but bringing things forward and back also implying more of  a curve around the planet thing and making more interesting shapes for the craft...let me know of questions, but just an idea, hope it helps:)  cheers

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#47 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:42:24 PM(UTC)

Hey Markus,  I took some liberties to take a wing at some of the covers you started and i think that some of them had some strong ideas. first is playing with some of the shapes and taking them farther and playing with the tree idea more.  The second one i thought it would be better to play with the colors that are there and not just go to straight black to describe the foreground, also keeping in mind the different widths of the branches and trunks.  these are all great starts, just some ideas i thought might help! good work good work.

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#48 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:31:56 PM(UTC)

Hi Ryan,  Really like the direction you went with these illustrations! I agree with you on the third one seems the stronges I think your color pallette is great. With the paint over i did was to give you some idea of how far you can push some of those shapes and patterns to help describe everything else in the scene. Also to not be held back and when you see something that might work give it a shot. So i played witht he cloak a bit more and tried to really use it with the composition. hit me up if you have questions, hope it helps:) cheers

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#49 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:47:44 PM(UTC)

Hey Marisa! did a quick paintover for you book cover, it's a great start! i pointed out in red some things that stuck out that i feel need to change and also in the blue outline was some great texture stuff that you had that gives it that watercolor look which what ever you were doing there keep doing it:) i mocked up some stuff on the right i thought would help, maybe more variation in shape and also pushing some saturation in spots to give something to focus on, also just a note to look at opportunities for use of small and large pattern shaps like you have in the building in the back, in general all the negative shapes in there are about the same size and it would be a great opportunity to add some variation. Great start though! and i'll make sure to swing by when i stop by the office! cheers.

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Horia Dociu
#50 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 7:55:35 AM(UTC)

There's a lot of nice stuff going on here, I especially love the colors. Now, I'm not picking on this picture, but since it's finished, I can point out a lot of stuff since I know it won't be addressed later in the process.

1- the composition is segmented into parts. Instead of being separated into a 1, 2, 3 read- each quarter is equally important, therefor nothing is important. I scaled up the guys so that either they could be the focus, or the foreground element secondary read, right now they're just tacked on at the bottom. Also, overlapping shapes helps with depth more than atmospheric perspective ever could. The overlapping also helps in the other elements, like not making the mountains follow the countour of hte building, that just looks too convenient aka fake. It's natural for us to want to do that, keep elements out of each others way, but nature doesn't adhere to composition.

2- the scale in your actual design is all over the place. You've got a little window with a windowsill, then an inch down, there's tiny trucks, it throws the viewer way off. Watch your scale cues, not just putting objects in for scale, but also minding the type of construction and its functionality at various scales.

3- that antenna shooting a laser, besides being too distracting to be in the corner, or too cornered to be a focal point, has more scale issues of its own. It's huge in scale, but in design looks more like an old tv antenna. Watch where you get your reference.

4- everything needs to be based in reality, and some of your architecture is just nonsense. That weird floating building with posts coming out of it, not only does it look like its a small room up there when in fact its a giant hanger size warehouse, but it's just floating on two posts. Ever seen a table even do that? Let alone a giant building?

Hope that helps!

Horia Dociu
#51 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:18:41 AM(UTC)

This just seems a bit flat, and I thought having lots of overlap would help the depth. Also, really pushing atmospheric perspective and scale is important to really hammer home the idea of space using all the 'tools' in your aresnal. I also adjusted the perspective some on the big buildings on the left, otherwise they point to a vanishing point above the canvas and the rest of the pic doesnt support that.

As for the colors and lighting, its all a bit bland. You've got to use some lighting reference just like you would architecture reference. that'll help you decide where's the light coming from and what color your light and shadows should be. I really dig this book-http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Guide-Realist-Painter/dp/0740797719/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304190730&sr=8-1 and at 16 bucks its an amazing investment!! Simple to read and use, it'll teach you all you need!

Horia Dociu
#52 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 7:52:11 AM(UTC)

I think there's a cool idea here, but even without changing layout or desig, really just painting over with some tones, you can start to give this image some badly needed form. Currently its really really noisy, and while I can see you're aiming for a rocky texture, its much more important to first describe teh big shapes, afterall, its is an ISLAND *made* of rocks... not just a bunch of rocks. Sculpt the big shapes and let small details support that, and using reference fo shore lines or coastal rock formations or whatever would be a much better way to make sure you're starting in the right direction.

Levi Hopkins
#53 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:10:51 AM(UTC)

Hey Abigail-

Thanks for posting a bunch of work! I did a real rough paintover of your Scholes week piece. It felt like it just had an even level of noise across the entire canvas, no clear definition between foreground, midground, and background, and some of the mountains are pretty consistent from left to right in shape and form.

So i did a few quick adjustments by hazing out the background and toned down the textures, added a little foreground character for scale, and also added some more glacier chunks on your water to help with the depth!

Keep em coming and thanks again!

-Levi

scape 1

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#54 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 1:18:35 PM(UTC)

Edwin-

Great work, love the colors, i knew you would rock those! I just marked a few real quick points that caught my eye, but overall a really nice piece.

1) The branches from the fir tree take a predicitable and repeated shape, creating a repetition of the same positive/negate space and really traps my eye there. I do this all the time and have to try and catch myself to prevent this and trust me I sometimes let it slip by only to have someone else point it out to me! :)

2) I really like this dark foreground shape, but I really wish there were a few more holes poked in it so i could see to the background. I know behind it you have the light fading into the shadows, but maybe just let a little bit more show through! Maybe even hint at the stream a little more behind it.

3) Someone else pointed this out also, but there are some confusing scale issues with the tree I indicated at (1) and the fir trees at (3) plus the castle in the background. It really feels like the intersection of the plane with the (3) trees and the roadway with the scale characters are on the exact same plane, making the people feel like the height of the trees! 

Great work again!

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#55 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:59:08 PM(UTC)

Patrick-

Cool stuff, you got a lot of stuff going on here with promise. 

I took one of your bookcover comps, which btw had some cool stuff in it and just did some real minor tweaks. I punched out the FG character with a bit more contrast and the slightest details to pop him a bit off the rock. He was getting lost in the corner and you could totally take this way further than I did, just a few hints from me.

Also, this guy is standing on some sort of cliffside looking at something, but in the orginal there's just a ton of textures and shapes that are pretty indecisive and confusing. I'd recommend making a clear focal point for him to look at. So when someone looks at this image they first see the dude on the cliff (highest contrast), they then follow his gaze through your painting to some sort of badassness in the background. I just put in some brushstrokes completely random hinting at maybe a creature. Anything really would work it's up to what you envisioned!

Thanks for the hard work.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Horia Dociu
#56 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:00:52 PM(UTC)

I think you've got some nice colors going on and you're focused on mood which is really gr, but everything seems really mushy. You've got to have some structure in there. Everything sort of nondescript as though it were modeled with mashed potatoes. Really knowing what you're drawing will help sell the idea, and from a graphical standpoint, it'll give your pieces some much needed structural contrast to the overall softness you've got going on.

Horia Dociu
#57 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:18:59 PM(UTC)

Nice strokes and colors here, but I think your compositions need a lot of work. You've got to ask yourself WHAT AM I DRAWING?! So that before you lay a line down, you know what the star of the shot is, not just worrying about painterly strokes... if the thumbnail is bunk, no amount of neato brush work will save it. Again, these are nicely painted, but spend some more time planning! :)

flaptraps
#58 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 1:21:48 PM(UTC)

Hello Jessica! I really appreciate the work you put in your covers! and i took a couple that i think were something of an idea.  And though i took them a different direction i thought it might give you some more ideas on how to look at your work. I notice you using some of the techniques that i mentioned in class with the lasso tool and using selection.  I think an important thing for you to focus on right now is before starting a piece look at some artist you really admire and disect what you like about it and try to put some of that into your own paintings:) a lot easier said than done:) but it's a good place to start. 

So with the ice cover i think finding an interesting silhouette rather than just posting the subject in the middle like so and also finding some lighting ref that you enjoy would be a direction to go:)  you have some great texture and watercolor look in yours, just try to balance how much noise you put in your piece:)

and with the gate one, i wrote some notes on your image and just for example played with what i would do with the image:) hope it helps and please ask questions!

cheers

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Stokes
#59 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 2:48:32 PM(UTC)

Hey Kade, I really like what you did with this one so far. I think if you frame the composition with some graphic snow trees it will feel more complete. I also think the ground planes could use some definition instead of being completely abstract. Keep up the good work and I hope this helps.

flaptraps
#60 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:16:56 AM(UTC)

Hey Daniel, I like your character here and i thought it was a good idea to move forward on, here is a little sketch of some different things to try.  having the one foot even after you render it out will probably still look like she has one foot so i think it looks more balanced with having the two feet and also played with some thick and thins for some of the other shapes.  just a thought....and i like what you think for the dress, you should post up ref material so we can see where your coming from. cheers!

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com