FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

5 Pages«<2345>
A collection of all instructor feedback in one thread
Stokes
#61 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:19:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Hey Jordi, I like this piece a lot but I think it needs some more ground definition and some foreground elements to help frame the piece. I actually feel like I might have killed too much of the mood in mine so maybe keep some of your original atmosphere. Keep it up!!

flaptraps
#62 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:51:15 AM(UTC)

Hi Danilo,

you have some great stuff happening with your cover you did, i did a quick little paint over just to show some things i might change, and also put some notes on there.

I thought it would be cool if you played with some patterns for the guys cloak, it's a great way to define form and shape within an image. but like i said you have some great variations and colors going on good job!

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Stokes
#63 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:55:25 AM(UTC)

Hey Joel, when blocking things in with 3D try and force yourself to go outside of the lines. I have a really hard time with it as well but  I think it would be a good exercise for you to get comfortable designing new objects ontop of a basic block in. I did a quick and dirty paintover so hopefully that will give you kind of an idea on where you can take some of these basic shapes.

flaptraps
#64 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:19:36 PM(UTC)

Hi Sandra! you have a great monster going here, wanted to do something different really quick and give maybe some idea of what you could do with anatomy, the painting is pretty far along so i dont expect you to change anything but it's just something to keep in mind:)  it's a good creature for sure!

cheers

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Stokes
#65 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:40:09 PM(UTC)

Hey Amanda, If environments are frustrating you I think you'll really benefit from finding some good reference. Here are some quick images I got off of a google search. I think if you took these and rework your piece it will turn out pretty cool. Good luck and keep it up :)

flaptraps
#66 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:00:41 PM(UTC)

hi david!  i like where your going with your samurai and thought i would just give a little direction on maybe an idea you could play with:) take from it what you will, just thought a little posture change and with the figure against white i think it's a stronger image:) keep it going man

cheers

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Stokes
#67 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:30:46 PM(UTC)

Hello Brigita,

I think you'll also benifit from gathering more reference up front. In this paint over I started with a loose sketch of the horse profile based on the reference below and then started placing some of the other images on top of it in softLight layer mode. Once I placed the details in the right spot I painted on a fresh layer to clean up the detail and make it look more intentional. The mech video I posted goes over the same process if you're interested.

flaptraps
#68 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:42:49 PM(UTC)

Hi Michael,  I really like your character sketches, i thought maybe this one i did some work on and it might give you a bit more of an idea of interesting shapes to play with for this character. just some food for thought, excited to see where you take it! good stuff mate.

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#69 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:10:29 PM(UTC)

hi luke really diggin your book covers!  i thought i would put a spin on this one and see if it gives you some more ideas, and use what you can of what i've done! let me know of questions. and keep up the good work!

cheers

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#70 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:43:38 PM(UTC)

hey david! great work so far man! exciting to see what your doing i did a little character paintover for ya to just give some ideas to think about.  try to give it something interesting.  if you have some questions please ask. 

cheers

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Stokes
#71 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:49:48 PM(UTC)

Hey Tobias, I like a lot of the colors you have going on in this one. In my paintover I changed the proportion closer to a widescreen format and lowered the horizon line quite a bit. I also made sure to haze out the background enough so that the characters read easier. Lastly I threw in the foreground plants to frame the pic. Hope that helps.

Horia Dociu
#72 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:01:56 PM(UTC)

In this piece, besides the perspective being broken and the colors being all over the place (cloudy, overcast sky, sunny sand etc) the main problem was a lack of a focal point. I don't think you knew what your piece was about. You've got more detail in the foreground trees than anything else. You tucked that city away so I didn't even notice it for a long time, and the highest contrast bit (the dark guys on the bright sand) were just too sloppy to be the focal point, not to mention too small and crowded in the scene. I think you need to set up a hierarchy and decide what's most important in the scene. I chose to make the picture about:

1) the guys

2) ...going to the city

3) out of the forest and into the desert

4) on an overcast day

I think you can save a lot of reworking if you really spend some time on nice composition sketches, then all your rendering will be put to good use, so long as you really use reference effectively. Good luck!

Stokes
#73 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 11:24:36 AM(UTC)

Hey George, I really like your current works and I think you've made huge strides so far. Here is a step by step view of my 3d paint over process. The last image isnt final but hopefully this will give you some ideas on how to incorporate some block ins more naturally. Keep it up :)

Stokes
#74 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 5:22:21 PM(UTC)

Hey Andre, Here are some notes on your recent 3d work. Let me know if you have any questions about them but I think your on the right track overall, just stick with more basic shapes for clarity.

flaptraps
#75 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 5:56:53 PM(UTC)

hey Alex great start, I want you to play with some of the "how to get texture" techniques you learned in my class and levi's class.  and also i want you to look at this link for picture ref and really follow it and find fun stuff, i did a paintover that i hope gives you some ideas and a little direction keep it up!

heres the link: http://www.flickr.com/se...unset+iceberg&page=2

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
flaptraps
#76 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 7:04:05 PM(UTC)

Hey Paul!  great work you putting in, and really good experimenting!  some weak spots for sure but a lot of things i feel you'll start to pick up.  I grabbed one of your book covers and made a couple changes that might help, also jotted down some notes that you'll want to keep in mind with any piece your doing.  there were a lot of similar shapes and noise through out your painting, but it's a good start, hope it gives some ideas, simply using selections and soft brush and some blur filter. good stuff, keep posting

cheers

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Stokes
#77 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 7:18:42 PM(UTC)

Hey Elias, I really like what you have started on this one. Here are a few suggestions that I think ground it in reality a little more but other than that I think it's really cool :)

flaptraps
#78 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 8:12:22 PM(UTC)

Hi Danel,  I wanted to give you some feed back on your last post.  I know it's hard to know where to put shapes and what not to lay your piece out but i cant stress enough and i see this through out the entire forum of people not using ref.  Its obvious that there was no reference and no idea of where you were going with these.  Which isnt always bad but right now i think it would be a good idea to make sure to have a goal in mind, and look at tons of reference, and have it available before you start.

with the paint over i just thought you need to throw in more atmoshpere and i jotted down some notes for you as well.

Keep putting in the hard work!! i like that your pushing yourself! hope this helps and plan to see more:)

cheers

rich

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Levi Hopkins
#79 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:35:23 PM(UTC)

Darren-

Thanks for doing some enviro thumbnails. At the moment you're a bit timid on your value range i'd recommend adding some more darker values at this point to help build the basic depth of your pieces. By limiting your values at this stage you've lost the ability to portray a background, midground, and foreground. There's nothing wrong with having a small value range just at this stage in your development i'd recommend having a wider range so you can work from dark to light from foreground to background.

I think your 2nd and 3rd piece envoke the beginnings of an environment. The first is almost too abstract and haphazard, still definitely workable, but in your 2nd and 3rd i can feel a more established direction. I did a quick paintover, introducing a wider range of values and established some scale and focal point. Keep these coming though you are improving as you go.

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
Levi Hopkins
#80 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 3:07:42 PM(UTC)

Markus-

Nice work, glad you found some of my process stuff interesting. I think you're coming along great with these thumbnails with a variety of flavors and topics. The last 3 scifi ones are your best out of the batch. I think the first image and the second image are great explorations but they still need some sort of scale reference and focal point. I feel like that 2nd image is real close to telling a story but at this point it's missing the final knockout punch and some clarity. Is it a giant space station just floating there, is it being destroyed, etc.

I marked a few quick points on the 3rd image which to me you had more of the elements necessary to tell a story but just needed a few compositional changes.

1) Your secondary element, or the ship in front of the chase happens to be on a gnarly tangent with the background almost every surface intersects in a radial pattern on the ship. The problem here is that your eye totally gets caught here and with the values of the background and the ship being in the same range causes the ship to look connected rather than flying through this sci-fi scene.

2) This ships intersection on the canvas edge is super timid, either crop the ship way off, but still in a readable fashion or move it away from the edge. Also, scale this ship to force the feeling of tension and push your depth from the other ship.

3) At this intersection you have two different planes intersecting but no lighting change to define the form. Even just the subtle little touch on the quick paintover helps these type of issues. Obviously you would want to take it further!

Overall, i would just add a bit more atomosphere to your images to create a more emotional element. In the paintover i may have taken out some of the detail you had established, but sometimes you need to sacrifice all that cool detail to get the emotion, lighting, or atomosphere established.

My little paintover is literally just taking what you already created and just kind moving things around a bit so you really did all the work and are progressively getting better with each batch so keep up the good work!

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.