FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

4 Pages123>»
George Kritikos' Thread
George Kritikos
#1 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 11:27:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Here are the pieces I've done so far. Enjoy and dont hesitate to comment. Let me know what you think - GOOD/BAD - SUGGESTIONS/TIPS - ANYTHING/NOTHING :P

1|2 - Knight | Shaman/Assassin type dude?
Silhouette 1,2

3|4 - Chained Soul | Amphibian Creature
Silhouette3,4

5|6 - Lone Halberd-wielding samurai-than-a-nomad | Ancient Guardian
Silhouette5,6

7|8 - Conjurer | Mech
Silhouette7,8

9|10|11 - Soldier | Hybrid-type bug | Robot ... I think im starting to lose my touch, I cant keep my method consistent :S
Silhouette9,10,11

Andrew Epps
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:06:45 AM(UTC)

Cool.  The nomad comes across more like some kind of halbard wielding samuri than a nomad, to me that is.

George Kritikos
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:38:31 PM(UTC)

Man

Andrew Epps wrote:

Cool.  The nomad comes across more like some kind of halbard wielding samuri than a nomad, to me that is.

Fixed!

Also, added 2 more concepts.
Edit: added 3 more...

David Morgado
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:20:48 AM(UTC)

George, try to work smaller and less transparent for now :)

Jared Shear
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:35:55 AM(UTC)

I like 5 and 7. I agree with David.....less transparent for now, and maybe sharpen up a few of the edges. I would think a nice balance between hard and soft edges is where you want to be. My silhouettes came out a little too crisp for my liking, so I ended up on the other extreme.
George Kritikos
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:18:13 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey thanks guys for commenting. I noticed majority of everyone went with the flat black silhouette approach (I think i was taking it a bit further than what I was supposed to, but enjoyed it and continued lol), so here's some of the full black sil's.

Silhouette12,13,14,15,16

Horia Dociu
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:48:21 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

I want to see you take one or two of these further like we talked about in class. I like #15
George Kritikos
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:14:34 AM(UTC)

Man

I'm struggling a lot at the moment with applying colour to the image. In dire need of some direction.

Edit: Added textures to it. I've spent quite a lot of time now just to get it to this stage (midnight alrdy?!?!), so I'm done for now lol. Colour is my biggest problem, no matter how many tutes I look at I just cant seem to get it right :(

Below I've tried to refine the detail of the basic silhouette (feet are still a bit screwed) and tried to apply colour... I'll continue trying but thought I'd post it up during the process and see if I can get some help.
ChickChickT

Daniel Ortega
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:28:14 AM(UTC)

Hey George,

love how the last figure is shaping up!

You said you need help with the coloring of the image? Why? Don't know what colors to apply to it?
David Morgado
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:58:02 AM(UTC)

Coming along nicely I think

You can take the oportunity to refine the silhuette a bit, in relevant areas. For instance, where the boots end, etc.

George Kritikos
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:43:01 PM(UTC)

Man

David - lol yeah, i keep forgetting about them cause I get caught up in the detail around the torso area.

Daniel - I have trouble when it comes to picking colours and applying them. The process is something I'm not familiar with at all and I rarely ever add new layers to my image unless I know Im going to make a significant change.
I've got all the values down (not the best as I can't get the finer details down... the real detail in my image only came with the textures I applied to it), but when I pick colours to apply do I pick (de-)saturated ones, darker ones etc. Whichever ones I try it never looks right. I dont know if its just as simple as adding a new layer (soft light, overlay or whichever) and dumping some colours with a soft/hard edge brush, and if the process of adding colour generally goes further than that.

I'm not sure if this all makes sense to you guys but this is my current situation.

(time to get ready for my trip interstate :D)

Jennifer Stoneking
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:00:28 PM(UTC)

My suggestion to you is to make a new layer and mask it so it only covers the body of the lady, and then fool around with applying colors. This could mean making a whole bunch of layers to see what you like, or going with one route and working with it till it works with you. Each way has its advantages and disadvantages and you won't know what you like until you play with it!

Hopefully that helps :)
Work decent enough for the internet: http://jenniferstoneking.carbonmade.com
Daniel Ortega
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:10:03 PM(UTC)

About the color, I have the same problem at times, but everything becomes clearer when you start to think about the profession of your character, and the materials its using. My experience - and some fashion advice from my wife - has taught me to keep the main color pick to a minimum. 3 color tops, maaaybe 4 if you are thinking on variations. In this case am thinking brown, red/blue (either of them), orange. I don't count black or white usually, as neither are really colors and I use them more for highlights and shadows, or accessories.

In this case, the character is reminiscent to me of a ninja, a thief or a scout of sorts. That means that she will sacrifice protection for mobility; that is implied by carrying only three distinguishable metal pieces: the shoulder plate, the belt and the long knife/sword. So when I think of metals, copper is lighter than iron, and not as weak as say, tin. Now you have a color for that part, oxidized oranges, reddish taints, etc. (hopefully I am not that off in describing my colors, am used to the names in Spanish but not in English).

The belt itself is not completely metal, but you need something that can support the heavier parts. The most common answer is leather, be it in the browns, or black. the laces that dangle can be leather too.

The clothes are skin tight and seem to give a shine to the light exposure, so am thinking silk. I am playing with the idea of maybe of a vibrant blue or a purple with red hues, either with white patterns. That vibrant color will make the figure jump out and contrast nicely with the copper tones (no pun intended). The hands and the boots could very well be in leather, but anyone that has used leather on the legs and arms, will tell you this: it takes away movement, and its sweaty as hell. so maybe a combination of bandages and leather might result for the best.

Lastly, for the hair, a brunette with golden highlights or maybe reddish ones might do. A Blonde with brown highlights may do, but you will have to experiment if the hair takes away the color from the shoulderplate.

Then again, thats just me =). Anyone else has suggestions?

Will Crawford
#14 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 1:20:31 PM(UTC)

You could also try applying color using an overlay layer to experiment with what looks best. That may give you a general direction for your color palette. If you go that route, I think a little more grey value would bring out the form more and help you see your colors as you apply them.

Levi Hopkins
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:54:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

George-

Keep the work up, i made a tweak to one of your silo's below, i'd recommend exploring interesting shapes more, wings are a great opportunity to get some funky shapes going or ideas.

-L

Bongo Bong.
George Kritikos
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:59:36 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks for responding and helping as much as you could with what I could provide (in regards to my questions for where you guy could help me out). I'm still interstate and have very crappy internet as well as a very crappy laptop so I havent been able to do anything unfortunately and not being able to put these suggestions into practise is frustrating, so i got lotsa work to do when i get bak next week.

Levi - That redesign is awesome and judging from that, I think I get too caught up in a predetermined structure (in my head) that restricts me from creating a potentially greater concept, if that makes sense. 

George Kritikos
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:56:44 AM(UTC)

Man

So I'm finally back from my holiday to my awesome comp and net. This is what I've got so far for my coloured piece (+ a lil extra refinement).
I'm going to stop working on her for now so I can try to catch up with the other tasks.
ChickC

George Kritikos
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:46:09 AM(UTC)

Man

Well, here's an enviro pic I decided to do. Supposed to be a cave with gigantic mushroom type things in it.

enviro1

George Kritikos
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:40:50 PM(UTC)

Man

Started off with some very simple designs (especially the vehicles lol) to try get the hang of the process.

BV1

Abigail Ryder
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:00:14 PM(UTC)

Looking great so far! I love your thatched-roof hut in the top right of your building/vehicle concept sketches; I was trying to capture something along those lines and failing. Really like yours though, looks like somewhere I'd want to live. ;)