FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

4 Pages<1234>
George Kritikos' Thread
George Kritikos
#21 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 8:16:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Thanks Abigail, I'm glad you like it. Kinda wished they turned out better though.

Anyway, I spent a little bit more time on these guys in particular the elevated hut thingy.
One thing I've noticed while doing this task is that I tend to go all primitive when creating buildings, but when it comes to creating vehicles I go all robotic/futuristic :S

BV2 

David Morgado
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:18:58 AM(UTC)

Hey George

Try to be more graphic: less grays, more contrast. That will help your sketches read better

Also, if you're having trouble doing futuristic buildings, just pick a futuristic vehicle, take out its wheels, and probably transform\distort it. Futuristic objects, be either vehicles, buildings, clothing, etc, all have the same sort of form language

Hope that helps :)
George Kritikos
#23 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 1:31:07 AM(UTC)

Man

David - yeh i definately need to push for darker values. i get really hesitant... i dunno why :S

Spent a bit more time on this than I'm probably expected to but I thought I'd spend this time to try become more aware of "what works and what doesnt work" with this process. It's quite fun... really enjoyed doing this piece.
I like how you can have NO idea what you're going to do and just come up with something as you go along.

enviro_beach1

Edit: Some more...

enviro2

enviro3

enviro4

George Kritikos
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:48:15 PM(UTC)

Man

Well this piece didnt really turn out the way I wanted... Kinda wanted to see how far i could take a particular shape i made (im pretty sure you can guess which one lol). I think the foreground is somewhat killing this piece.
Haven't dwelled into colour yet, just so that im able to catch up to the current tasks. Hopefully ill revisit these at some point and apply some of the other techniques shown in the class.

enviro5

Just pictured a small group of people on the right side :P hehe

David Morgado
#25 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:53:53 PM(UTC)

Hi George

Yes! These compositions are very nice! Try to pay attention at the edges as you refine them. Don't start going all soft edges!

Hope that helps
George Kritikos
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:47:54 AM(UTC)

Man

@David - lol, ill try not to go soft... edged :P

I grabbed one of my previous enviro pics to use as a foundation for the book cover task. Hopefully my colour choice is not too spastic.
Only made one custom brush to see what I could come up with but managed to stumble across tweaking a brush to give an epic icy-splatter effect.  

cover1
cover2

George Kritikos
#27 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 11:14:59 PM(UTC)

Man

My next book cover addition!

Only black and white so far, but I do intend to apply colour. I tested colour with a colour balance layer and hue/saturation option but it didnt turn out the way I expected. Time to find an alternative (help if you can lol).
Basically used my previous book cover, and worked off that. Thought it would be kool to put one of my characters in there also :P

Edit: Refined character some more and applied colour. I think my colour application method was probably a bit retarded. Hopefully it's turned out okay. Spent enough time on this one for now...

Edit: Tried to make it read more the way I intended it to.

cover3cover3v2cover3v2v2

George Kritikos
#28 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 12:17:11 AM(UTC)

Man

Here's another book cover piece. Once again, black and white but that should change soon. I'm most likely gonna move to the 3D stuff now.

cover4cover4v2

David Morgado
#29 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 3:28:26 AM(UTC)

Hey George

Good attempts!
I think the problem you are getting in the color overlay, may not be in the colors at all, but actually in the values. I don't know what sort of color you are trying to achieve, so I can be wrong on that comment.

Hope that helps!
George Kritikos
#30 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 7:23:00 AM(UTC)

Man

@David - well thats the thing... when i apply colour, im not too sure how much value or saturation I should have when choosing a particular colour.
If im not wrong, Im sure I heard thats its pretty hard to turn a black and white image into colour directly.

So my method was this (in no particular order):
- grab a random picture (real life) and just colour pick from it, this layer would be on a blending mode (I think it was "Soft Light")
- make new layer (blending mode of "hue") and apply various colours
- colour balance layer to achieve an ambient (im sure thats the word) colour

Those methods allowed me to keep things seperate from the actual image so that it wasnt permanant and can tweak things on the fly (with few restriction from my experience).

George Kritikos
#31 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 8:47:29 PM(UTC)

Man

Finally stumbled across something I could probably work with. Between these 3 images there was a lot of recycling... if you couldn't tell.
Not sure how far I can take these environment-wise though, but I'm pretty sure they'll serve a purpose in my sci-fi work :P

3D_1

3D_2

3D_3

George Kritikos
#32 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:14:55 AM(UTC)

Man

WIP. Thought I'd revisit a landscape piece of mine and used the smudge techniques. Working on colour and brushes is my next step for this.

@David - took your advice and this is where its at. Didnt do too much at all but I think I achieved some contrast. It kinda got to the point where I felt if I were to do anymore to it, I'd ruin it (gotta stop treating my work so preciously lol). Time to move on.

enviro_colour1

enviro_colour1v2

David Morgado
#33 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:30:10 PM(UTC)

Hey George!

Nice 3d meshes!

One thing I'm noticing in your work, is that you are doing the exercises by focusing on 1 tool at a time (like for instance on this last one, you went 100% smudge). That is in fact good for learning's sake, but try to do some work using all the tools you already know well.

I propose this, because each tool has a very distinct feel to it (ie: smudge is "plastic", selections are graphic, etc). If you only use 1 of the tools, there's a whole lot of contrast that you are leaving out. If you mix them, you can add alot of variety to an image, and thus make it more interesting.

If you still feel insecure about this, then continue doing what you are doing, which is good, but for each 5 pieces you do focusing on a tool, do an extra piece using most of the tools at your disposal (or all of them).

Hope that helps!
George Kritikos
#34 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:05:15 AM(UTC)

Man

I think i got some nice colours to work with for this one.

scifi1

Here's where its up to now.. took out the 3D objects as its not really working for me atm.
... gotta do something about the hollow log thing though... suggestions?

scifi1v2

George Kritikos
#35 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:34:23 PM(UTC)

Man

Final version. Not too sure how scifi you'd classify this scene, but it was interesting to just explore the creation methods and stumbling across MANY 'happy accidents'.  

scifi1v3

Stokes
#36 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 11:22:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Hey George, I really like your current works and I think youve made huge strides so far. Here is a step by step view of my 3d paint over process. The last image isnt final but hopefully this will give you some ideas on how to incorporate some block ins more naturally. Keep it up :)

George Kritikos
#37 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:26:27 AM(UTC)

Man

Hey thanks Jason for the step by step 3D paintover. You make it looks so easy! For some reason I felt so restricted in my attempts...

My next (once again) not-so scifi scene.

scifi2

George Kritikos
#38 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:08:47 AM(UTC)

Man

So here's what Im currently working on.

char1

Elias Aboulkacem
#39 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:52:34 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey George!

I know I am not an instructor but I hope you don't mind that I painted over your work - makes it just easier for me to point some things out:

Your design has some interesting elements - I like the triangular shapes - even though it could become a technical problem since he cant lift his arm too high with this shoulders

Some minor issues:

His right shoulderjoint is a bit too far away from his chest and his right shoulderplate isn't wrapping around the right way - the belt area could also be more obious wrapping around the hip

Also, I adjusted the pose a little bit to show the weight of the arm

Hope that it helps! Keep it up mate!

fb

David Morgado
#40 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:27:50 PM(UTC)

Hi George!

I second Elia's suggestions. I'd go so far as suggesting that you really exaggerate his pose, even more than what Elias drew... That arm looks rather heavy, so the character would have some trouble keeping himself together.

Hope that helps!