FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages123>
Markus Lenz | WIP
MarkusLenz
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 4:38:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Hey guys here are my work in progress pictures!

I'm excited to paint some more soon and I hope you like some of my stuff and give me good feedback :D

:edit for some reasons my pictures keep disappearing, I'll upload them on my webspace and hopefully it will work.

Horia Dociu
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:28:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Markus,

deiner bilder sind echt cool! :)

Really interesting silhouettes, fun poses. I'd say go pick one and either explore it through a few more silhouettes to see if you can improve on it, or better yet scale it up and start carving/adding to it before taking it to completion. I'd love to see a finished character, I could give you much better feedback.

Nice work!
PhilLiu
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:01:40 AM(UTC)

Man

I really like the 3rd warrior in the first roll, the middle dragon in the 3rd roll, and all of the monsters on the 4th roll. Can't wait to see the finished character!
George Kritikos
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:27:08 AM(UTC)

Man

OMG! I'm loving the GOLEM.

I actually like all of the silhouettes. You cater perfectly for my tastes :P

lizpopolo
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:36:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes, Online Subscription 1 year

Markus, your drawings all have a great angular aesthetic, which makes them very readable. I find that the Japanese woman with the umbrella is the only one that's hard to read. Because of her sitting pose, it's difficult to see what is going on. The middle image on the bottom row (woman with a staff) is my favorite because her pose is very sensual and balanced. I also really love the skeleton ghost, because the tattered brushwork and the asymmetry of his geometry adds to the sense of his decay and unease.

LukeFarinella
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:08:47 PM(UTC)

for some reason this thread is not showing me the pictures. I do remember them from the megathread and I have to say they are my favorites so far.
Elias Aboulkacem
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:18:56 PM(UTC)

Man

so you're from Frankfurt? :D

nice silhouttes man - hard to pick a favourite ...think it could be the golem, the warrior on the last page or the sorceress on the same

looking forward to see more!

BenLo
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:42:43 PM(UTC)

Nice and clean* )

For that disappearing image problem. Try and click some where else on the page when ever you finish uploading an image. Cause a lot of the time it will be selected, and if you upload another image, chances are that it will over write the selected image. We had a similliar forrum we use at work. It was really annoying at first, but not so bad after you get a hang of it.

MarkusLenz
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:33:22 PM(UTC)

Man

Very good Horia, did you have to look that up or do you know the language ? ;D

Hey Elias! Yeah I am, so youre from the GA?

I was struggling with time an some news ways. I'm not really used to work with textures but I was at least trying to go out of my comfort zone and use the things Horia explained. For now I'm really not satisfied with the result, I skip that one for now and try to start on another sillouette. For some reason when I like the shape and have somewhat of an idea I keep messing it up during the process...

David Morgado
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:50:43 PM(UTC)

MarkusLenz wrote:

For some reason when I like the shape and have somewhat of an idea I keep messing it up during the process...

Join the club man, I feel the same about my work.

I also think you lost the energy of the original silhuette, when you started fiddling with the pose. Hope that helps :)

MarkusLenz
#11 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 2:24:28 PM(UTC)

Man

It's finally Friday and I found some time to work on another of the sillouettes. Hopefully you guys can give me some good feedback so I'll be able to work on her some more tomorrow! I think this time was more succesfull when I did some more linework. I'll add Textures during the rendering process and play around with the layer styles to get some more detailed information.

Looking forward to the next class!!!

David Morgado
#12 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 2:43:24 PM(UTC)

Indeed looks much better!
Her breasts look strange though.
CheeWong
#13 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 3:00:46 PM(UTC)

Not round and rotund enough? *evil grin*
MarkusLenz
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:28:22 AM(UTC)

Man

thanks for the advice, I tried to work some more on her upper body area and did some adjustments with some reference. Hopefully it's looking a little better now.

MarkusLenz
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 1:29:37 PM(UTC)

Man

Spend the time during class filling in the background and adding colour. I still need to tweak the character so it will fit in the background a little bit more and render some more on the bottom half. Off to the thumbnails for now and tomorrow I try to finish this one with a fresh view ;D

MichaelNevins
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 5:30:40 PM(UTC)

Nice update! As for feedback, something I keep noticing is how the arm on our right is somewhat flat, and the color of the shadow on her skin is a cool grey, makes it look a little less natural than if you had a warmer shadow, I think.

Looks great though :)

Elias Aboulkacem
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:53:08 AM(UTC)

Man

MarkusLenz wrote:
Hey Elias! Yeah I am, so youre from the GA?

Exactly ^^ - finished in August - gonna be a hard time until then

Looking beautiful! I like especially her armor design and face

Some suggestions for you: The shadows are working nice around the face and shoulders, but the rest of the body by comparison is still somewhat flat - I'd push the shadows there a bit more and add more atmospherebehind her to seperate the lady more from the background, especially her hip armor and staffhead.

Also the wing on her right shoulder seems to suggest another rotation of the arm as her shoulder and arm does - I'd suggest ether lining the wing up with the other one or tilting her shoulder and arm back.

Hope it helps! Looking forward to see more!

MarkusLenz
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:30:38 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks for the feedback guys I've already implemented some of the things you noticed and it's much appreciated. It would be awesome to hear some feedback from one of the instructors because I feel like it's finished but it's basically the same thing I always do and I'd like to hear some thoughts about things I can improve. In the end it always tends to look to cartoonish, too colourful and not realistic. Do you have any suggestions to get more realism into it? Just reducing saturation doesn't really do the trick...

I've attached the final image and here are two buildings so far and one vehivle/robot I kinda liked ;X

File Attachment(s):
sorceress2.jpg (438kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
Matthew Barrett
#19 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 10:10:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

I think there are a lot of potential variations you can explore for these two buildings, because they're interesting and distinct archetypes.  If you're not comfortable feeling out an architectural environment straightaway in thumbnail comps, the character-style silhouette study would suit these well.  I do suggest at least one sky + ground + etc. background for each, maybe paste the silhouettes into it for thumbnail comps.

CheeWong
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:25:19 AM(UTC)

Love the potential of the two building types.

The left image, speaks of potential for 2 surface materials for brilliant contrast eg. broken ship hull vs steel/rope bindings, stone vs Black iron, cloth vs wood
The right image, speaks of bone & ichor, petrified wood & sinew, etc