FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages<123>
Markus Lenz | WIP
Kekai
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:11:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor, Online Classes

I did a quick paint over, I adjusted some of the forms first before adding in the new lighting scheme. Some things I noticed was perspective on her is weird when put into the environment. I tweaked her so that her pose in a more standard perspective. I hit some of the edges with some highlights to pop them out. Anyway I hoped this helps a little. If you have questions ask away.

MarkusLenz
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:01:00 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Thank you so much Kekai! It looks so much more well balanced now, especialy the missing leg feels so awkward in comparison... Do you have any suggestions about something I could tweek at the colours to make it a little more realistic? I hope there is another way than just desaturating.
Kekai
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:03:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor, Online Classes

Actually I added more color to the piece. But really I just wing my colors, never been much of a color guy. Though color is important, value is even more so. With the correct values on your piece color doesn't really matter. It's a vast subject.
MarkusLenz
#24 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 8:33:26 AM(UTC)

Man

Here are some covers I tried to do.

David Morgado
#25 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:42:56 PM(UTC)

Hey Markus

The book covers don't have the "punch" that your character silhuettes and buildings had. I think its mainly because the edges are too soft.

Your final character looks sweet though! Keep it up!
flaptraps
#26 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:41:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Hey Markus,  I took some liberties to take a wing at some of the covers you started and i think that some of them had some strong ideas. first is playing with some of the shapes and taking them farther and playing with the tree idea more.  The second one i thought it would be better to play with the colors that are there and not just go to straight black to describe the foreground, also keeping in mind the different widths of the branches and trunks.  these are all great starts, just some ideas i thought might help! good work good work.

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
MarkusLenz
#27 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:31:40 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks Richard, I love the graphical aspect you bring to your pieces. Your workflow is very unique and hopefully I'm able to open my mind a little bit more and loosen up.

Here are some of the first environments from Levi's class. Actually I get inspired by small things very easy but never used it in my workflow at all. The whole process of blurring old thumbs and looking for shapes while transforming custom brushes and shapes really speak to me and it was insanely enjoyable to create those :D

Roman_Fuhrer
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:55:11 AM(UTC)

Hey Markus,

I like your latest environments a lot. Especially the first three. They have interessting structures and good sense of depth. Cool stuff!
MarkusLenz
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:15:43 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks Roman :)

Here are some more thumbs from today

Elias Aboulkacem
#30 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:31:28 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey again Markus,

gotta agree on Roman - your first really have nice depth, the other thumbs are missing that a bit

really like the 3rd one got some interesting shapes - keep it up man

LukeFarinella
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:40:38 PM(UTC)

Those thumbs are "weapons grade" man. Keep it up.

George Kritikos
#32 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:04:00 PM(UTC)

Man

awesome enviros, easy to read and great composition!

one thing I've noticed is that you like your rocky terrain lol... interested to see something organic.

MarkusLenz
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:53:35 AM(UTC)

Man

thanks guys :)

Yeah George you're right but that was mostly on purpose. I'll make the next ones more organic for sure!
MarkusLenz
#34 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:53:14 PM(UTC)

Man

Those must have been the first scifi environments I did in my whole freaking life ^^"

I wish I could do more and I also sadly missed some of the previous assignments due to heavy heavy workload in my job but I'll try to squeeze in as much effort as I'm phisically capable of to get as much feedback as possible ;D

MarkusLenz
#35 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:06:19 PM(UTC)

Man

Heres some progress of my character following Kekais awesome class >.<!

Lots of fun so far, I'll finish it until wednesday.

David Morgado
#36 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:19:13 PM(UTC)

Hi Markus

These last enviro thumbs are really a huge leap forward, compared to your previous ones. You really hit the mark on those

As for the character, I think it is missing some graphical elements.

Hope that helps
Elias Aboulkacem
#37 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:21:17 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey Markus!

Looks cool - I like the pumpkin head grin :D - color is interesting too - just watch the perspective of the feet - your front foot should be standing lower or the other higher with the angles the foot suggest - Well I hope that helps you - Looking forward to see more ;)

Levi Hopkins
#38 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 3:06:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Markus-

Nice work, glad you found some of my process stuff interesting. I think you're coming along great with these thumbnails with a variety of flavors and topics. The last 3 scifi ones are your best out of the batch. I think the first image and the second image are great explorations but they still need some sort of scale reference and focal point. I feel like that 2nd image is real close to telling a story but at this point it's missing the final knockout punch and some clarity. Is it a giant space station just floating there, is it being destroyed, etc.

I marked a few quick points on the 3rd image which to me you had more of the elements necessary to tell a story but just needed a few compositional changes.

1) Your secondary element, or the ship in front of the chase happens to be on a gnarly tangent with the background almost every surface intersects in a radial pattern on the ship. The problem here is that your eye totally gets caught here and with the values of the background and the ship being in the same range causes the ship to look connected rather than flying through this sci-fi scene.

2) This ships intersection on the canvas edge is super timid, either crop the ship way off, but still in a readable fashion or move it away from the edge. Also, scale this ship to force the feeling of tension and push your depth from the other ship.

3) At this intersection you have two different planes intersecting but no lighting change to define the form. Even just the subtle little touch on the quick paintover helps these type of issues. Obviously you would want to take it further!

Overall, i would just add a bit more atomosphere to your images to create a more emotional element. In the paintover i may have taken out some of the detail you had established, but sometimes you need to sacrifice all that cool detail to get the emotion, lighting, or atomosphere established.

My little paintover is literally just taking what you already created and just kind moving things around a bit so you really did all the work and are progressively getting better with each batch so keep up the good work!

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
MarkusLenz
#39 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:52:29 PM(UTC)

Man

Very good things you pointed out Levi, I'll try to keep everything in mind, thanks a ton for the feedback! The main point of having composition in the first place is to navigate the viewer to a focal point, so in not having one it's a total fail on my side I guess ^.^! There is a bunch of stuff to learn for me about storytelling in the pictures and I don't value it enough... after all this is what it should be about!

Thanks Elias hopefully I would have noticed it anyway but it's good you mentioned it right away :D

Here is some progress on Kekai's task, I consider it finished for now as I would really like to get some feedback on a more human character if that's still possible during the week. I'll try to start with it tomorrow and it would be awesome to get some feedback on it later this week. Especially because of anatomy and facial expression, mood and topics like that.

MarkusLenz
#40 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:47:25 PM(UTC)

Man

Here is the second character I started. I really want to nail a more realistic approach but I have so many weird habits that it always looks skrewed up in the end. Probably should check more reference