FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages<123>
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver - WiP Thread
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#21 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 12:24:44 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes, Online Subscription 1 year

Well, I think this using 3d modelling to make enviroments is rather interesting.

As I have a interest in learning 3d modelling as well as this method outright fixes issues with perspectives (to which I suck at), I'm gonna spend a fair bit of time working on this one.

So far I only have this.

Just a simple tower prop, but it's a start.

I think I need to do some sketches and flesh out some ideas first.  But it's late and I'm tired.

I'll continue illurating this tommorow.

~Yoh

Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#22 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 3:03:50 PM(UTC)

Add a few more buildings, not overly fond of where this is going.

Still having a hard time getting it to do what I want, but I'm getting there.

How exactly do you change background color?

Lighting is still something I'm having difficult with.

~Yoh

CameronMousavi
#23 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 8:24:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Online Classes

Yoh, I don't have much experience in this type of matter, but try creating a sort of skybox around the structure, maybe? Like having a sphere encompass the entire thing so that it's always enclosed by something colored in the far distance.
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#24 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 9:36:11 PM(UTC)

Ah, that's a good idea. Thanks Cameron.
Sheldon Wilmeth
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:41:00 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting, Online Classes

Assuming this is 3dmax, to change the background color you go up to Rendering>Environment>Environment-tab and change the color box under the background section. you can also change the ambient light here as well. You will also get better lighting on everything if you add a ground plane so that the light can bounce around. Go to your Create>standard primitives and select the plane and set the options to square. place it under your objects but not touching. Make sure you have opened light tracer under the rendering tab, just have to open it then close it.

-Sheldon

Levi Hopkins
#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:48:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Hey Daniel-

Thanks for posting the inprogress model! I have a few suggestions for you.

Now that you have some base models built you can make quick little variants of the small houses you have, maybe just 2 more with a slight change to their silohuette like chimneys or window arches. Next you can just duplicate those and create a real quick city for your main castle to reside in. You can also scale up some of those houses but make sure to keep a cohesive scale on any windows or doors in your models. Make 3D work for you by using all the tools to get the most out of any one model!

I'd also put in a ground plane to all your buildings aren't floating in black space. This will also allow for cast shadows on any open ground you leave. Most of all remember to have fun and play with camera angles since perspective is established for you.

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#27 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:09:04 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the feedback, I should have mentioned that I'm using 3Dmax.... duh.
I see what you mean Sheldon, but now I've run into another problem with the rendering, is that it is turning my model pitch black...... which isn't very useful.

As for the previous model Levi, it was just my first stab in the dark as I tried to get used to the program, so I don't really intend to do much more with it then I have.
But rather I'm in the middle of something a fair bit better..... if I could get the fucking rendering to work correctly.
It's really easy to cock things up with this program.

But that being said, I feel so much more at home modelling then drawing..... how about that.

~Yoh
Sheldon Wilmeth
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:26:53 PM(UTC)

Yeah I have seen that before where it is all pitch black, but I cant remeber what causes it. I would try to start a new one with a ground plane and add in a skylight then change your background color and add in a box and see if you are getting the same thing or not. If not you can always export your old models and bring them into the new file. Just export them as OBJ file type then import them to the new file.

Another thing you might be able to try is hit "m" and there should be 6 grey spheres at the top, these are materials. You can try and drag one of the spheres to your model to get that basic grey on it. it might fix the lighting, just hit light tracer again.

-Sheldon

Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:31:02 PM(UTC)

Hey thanks Sheldon, I ended up exporting and re-importing it in the end, and that seemed to fix the problem.

Still having quite figured out lighting, but I haven't really spent any time on it yet, I'll piss around with it tommorow.

Anyway, this is what I've got thus far.

Still needs a lot of work.

At least it's not a black background anymore.

~Yoh

Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:56:09 PM(UTC)

A slight improvement since yesterday.

Spent more of today trying to figure out modifiers and splines....... damn this program is infurating at times.

Finally managed to get what I wanted in the end.

I smoothed up the tower, it looks a tad better.

Only one item left that I'd like to add.

Seriously need to take a coarse in 3d modelling......

~Yoh

George Kritikos
#31 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:29:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

hey good stuff so far!

only, i think you're getting into too much detail (in particular for this weeks task anyway). I dont wanna say "stop doing, what you're doing" because the more you know the better obviously :P ... but I dont think using 3D as a foundation for paintovers requires so much detail (im no pro.. but just judging from what was said and shown during class).

wouldnt mind seeing a paintover also :D

David Morgado
#32 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 3:22:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

Hi Daniel.

Good start in the 3d side of things!

I See you are spending alot of time in the poly editing tools. Thats good indeed, to learn the tools (the more you know the software, the more creative you can be with it).
However, you may be missing the more visceral experience that comes with just playing around with primitives and intersecting them, to generate shapes that you wouldn't come with by yourself.

Hope that helps
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#33 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 11:26:38 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

I probably am over doing things a bit rather then just screwing around, but I'm a little more interested in learning how to use the program then find a good scene to paint over.

That will all come with practice thou.

Still, I'm pretty much done with this particular piece, so I'll try painting over is a see what I come up with, even thou I suck horribly at enviroments.  :P

That's a blimp down there.

Witch's can't fly.

I'll probably use some of my halloween custom shapes with this paint over while I'm at it.

I should have it up today, I don't want to spend too long on it.

~Yoh

Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#34 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 3:02:25 PM(UTC)

Did I ever mention how much I fucking loath paint enviroments? No? I fucking hate painting enviroments.
Even after hour of piss arsing around, it still looks like crap, and no, I'm not uploading it in the state it's in.

I'll have to spend a lot more time on this hunk of crap just to make it look half decent.

~Yoh
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#35 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 12:17:57 PM(UTC)

After some reflection, I decided to abandon the last picture as I just cocked everything up from the get go having no plan.

David and George, you guys we're right, I was spending too long on the models over complicating things.  Namely color, that screwed things up for me majorly.

So, I started from scratch with a clear sense of direction this time.

This time, lot less detail, illustrating only one thing of importance, perspective.  That's it.

Simple tones, as I will be using custom shapes and silhouettes next to flesh it out.

As for this weeks homework stuff, it's interesting, and I will have a go, after this.

But it's really the kind of style where you need stuff already to get the best use out of..... which I don't have, not really.

Still, worth a look at least.

Hopefully I can produce something half decent this time.

~Yoh

MarisaErven
#36 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 3:22:16 PM(UTC)

Hey Yoh,

One comment I would say is that your camera (viewport/area you take a screen capture from) can also be a very handy tool. When taking the final renders, either cut your images to an interesting framing in max, or bring it into photoshop and crop it in a way that draws your eye. I can tell from the image above that you have some detailing in the background element, which would be rather lovely to see closer up so we can appreciate its design. Also playing with tilting the camera can garner some neat results as well.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff :) Cheers!

M
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#37 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 1:14:29 PM(UTC)

Thanks Marisa.

I managed to get some time today to work on that enviroment again, silhouetting it in, and it came out...... interesting.

Didn't take all that long either, which is surprising.

Unusual, yeah, that's it, unusual.

Think 'Nightmare Before Christmas' meets 'King of Thorn'.

Not going for realism here, but rather lively and strange.

Next step is detail and tone.  Still no color thou, I'll leave that bastard for last.

~Yoh

Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#38 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 3:37:01 PM(UTC)

I didn't quite feel like working anymore on the enviroment one today, but since I had time I figured I'd work on something else I've been meaning to get to.

I'm redo-ing a old piece that was among my more popular pictures on DeviantArt.

Just a simple silhouette for now.

It's an animorphic Queen from Starcraft 2, with just a bit of one if not my favorite game characters mixed in.

She's built like a tank.

Note, her legs are somewhat crossed, so it looks a tad odd in the silhouette, but it will be made clear later.

I'm probably going to have to make some changes to all the insect legs thou, to make it look more like a dress or something.

~Yoh

flaptraps
#39 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:19:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Hey Daniel, I like your character here and i thought it was a good idea to move forward on, here is a little sketch of some different things to try.  having the one foot even after you render it out will probably still look like she has one foot so i think it looks more balanced with having the two feet and also played with some thick and thins for some of the other shapes.  just a thought....and i like what you think for the dress, you should post up ref material so we can see where your coming from. cheers!

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
Daniel (Yoh) Oliver
#40 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:23:35 PM(UTC)

I'm glad you've taken an interest Flaptraps.

I already kind of had a direction I wanted to take with it, and this is what I've done so far.

Still have a lot of work on it, and I'm also working on this in between working on that enviroment piece from before, which is taking a fair bit of time.

I'm going to have a actually dress drap down in the centre, and give her a much more 'royal' look, rather then the somewhat prostitute nun style she originally had.

Althou I can't help but have at least a bit of ero there.

I should have more time tommorow as I get the day off.

~Yoh