FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages123>
Elias Aboulkacem - WIP thread
Elias Aboulkacem
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:59:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Hey guys!

Having fun with silhouettes and the photo-overlay

I generally tend to overrender, so I tried to stay loose for these

A few shapes for a arachnid type creature:

I wanted it to be a bit larger than human size, poisonous, aggressive and intelligent but slower in speed.

a few shapes for a arachnida type creature

took #16 a bit further:

also wanted to indicate a weakspot - not too sure if it works.

render of the arachnid type creature

and the admirals shapes:

I wanted to create a villain, looting, planning and cunning.

a few shapes for a admiral

And took #8 further:

render of the admiral

comments, suggestions & critiques are all welcome :)

Eric Del Valle
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:08:34 PM(UTC)

The textures on the scorpion look good. the legs seem a little flat to me though. You could had some more shadow and hilights to give it bit more volume. Like the new take on the pirate hook. Giant metal crab claw is way cooler than a measly hook!!
George Kritikos
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:23:09 PM(UTC)

Man

I'm liking the scorpion a LOT! The end of its tail is designed nicely and has some nice detail put into it.

Im assuming the brown muscle(?) bit at the base of the tail is its weak spot, aswell as on its back legs. You should probably add a bit of a saturated colour (red maybe?) and darken up the parts where the muscle meets the shell.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you should also try repositioning its legs to capture some interesting actions.

Daniel Ortega
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:39:36 PM(UTC)

I agree on the red for the "muscle". Maybe not paint it all red, but maybe a gradation from a fleshy pink to a swelling red for shadows, that way it will contrast well enough with the res of the carapace.
Edwin Rhemrev
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 5:30:48 AM(UTC)

Man

hey Elias! you've been busy man, good to see such dedication! I really like the fact you picked 1 specific character and based the assignment on that! You're defenitely a skilled artist, but I think you could work some more on conceptual thinking, e.g. going broader visually, trying to find more original, interesting directions.

The insects alread do this a bit better, but especially the humans are all very similar, try to vary the poses (action poses are always cool!) but also dive deep into proportions, e.g. a skeleton-boney thug, a really fat one, etc. A good example of extreme proportions are The Incredibles (although you don't have to go cartoony ofcourse :)

Looking forward seeing more!

-Edwin

Elias Aboulkacem
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:24:57 AM(UTC)

Man

Hey guys! I tried to find time to develop some more but unfortunately this week was quite busy - improved the creature a bit but sadly couldn't get much more done this week :/

@Eric: Thanks for the feedback - I painted on the legs a bit more.

@George: Thanks for your suggestions - Yes, it is a muscle - even though insects don't really got that but I thought it would be a cool twist to combine exo- and endoskeleton. I increased saturation of that part as you suggested. I missed your "edit" - so I haven't done that yet - but will try that as soon as I spend some more time on this buddy. Maybe I even change the whole pose and perspektive of this guy.

@Daniel: Thanks for your suggestion - I now used a firey orange - but could try that next time I'm on it too.

@Edwin: Thanks for your tipps - I know I really got a lot problems with deisgning human characters - I will try to play around with archetypes and design more next time

render of the arachnid type creature

MarkusLenz
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 8:21:03 AM(UTC)

Man

Nice Elias the scorpion rocks! It would probably look more interesting if you would change something at the legs. At the moment especially the three on the left are lined up extremely similiar. Maybe you could make some legs overlap to create more depths or jost change the angles slighty and put one more in the direction of the viewer to get some ähmm ... Verkürzung und so verstehst ? :D
Elias Aboulkacem
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:08:04 PM(UTC)

Man

@Markus: Thanks for the feedback - I noticed the roadkill look of that pose ^^ I think I will do this guy tommorrow again in a better pose and another perspective. Klar versteh ich ;)

inspired by the lecture and some slums I did these:

I tried different levels of detail and played around with storytelling, composition and scale mostly

sketches1

Levi Hopkins
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:59:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Cool to see some enviro thumbs going. I'd suggest right now that i'm not reading any real major light source in these. Think about the position of the sun, the angles shadows will be cast, etc.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Horia Dociu
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:18:50 PM(UTC)

I dig the colors and textures on the scorpion, but I think the silhouette is not super strong, nor is the 'punchline' of the creature clear. I cleaned up some stuff to make the stinger the main focus, lightened up the tail so it doesnt seem as heavy all around and thus slow to move, and I spiked up things here and there for interes (the legs in perticular seemed boring and sausage like). like I said though, the colors are cool, cools and rust, a good combo.

Elias Aboulkacem
#11 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 12:32:38 PM(UTC)

Man

Had some time today to continue

@Levi: Thanks for the feedback! I overpainted my old sketches and thought more about the lighting - also I did a few new ones and tried to keep an eye on that there, too:

environment1

environment2

@Horia: Thanks for the overpaint! I gave the scorpion another try - not much texture and color variation, tried to stay focused on design and I did a real quick serpopard

creature1

creature2

again - comments, suggestions & critiques are all welcome :)

Matthew Barrett
#12 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:26:00 PM(UTC)

I'm concerned you're going a bit small with the later thumbs.  A clear value hierarchy is important, but I think there should be at least a bit of room for some finer-scale elements to become apparent.  I do like that you're treating objects and spaces with equal regard.  Especially digging #1 because of its atmosphere.  One thing I'm noticing is that you have the same values assigned to the same types of thematic components- dark for rocks, lightest is sky, etc.  I'd like to see more exploration in the direction of flipping some of these relationships around with some close-in, player-level shots.  Building the larger world is important, but the intimate, screen-by-screen experience of the player moving through it is just as important.  Think of it as a personal movie for the player.  You want to make sure there's an interesting progression in the relationships between light, shadow, mass, and space.

Horia Dociu
#13 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:41:06 PM(UTC)

I dig the scorpion! Texture that up and it's a huge improvement!!

As for the cheetah, besides being totally silly, I think you didnt really design it too much. It's just a silly long neck tacked on. I've actually seen Matt draw a pretty bad ass sabertooth cobra, but when you see his- it looks like it could totally work. My take on the cheetah feels to me a tad more designed somehow, like he was born this way, not frankensteined. Not a great example, but the point is, try to find anatomical similarities or elements that can mesh well with both animals when mutating two together. This guy looks like he can pull himself forward while his back also pushes along, but he can also rear up and use his claws to fight. Your guy looks a bit like that neck would be hard to carry and tip him forward. Here's my photochop monstrosity-

Elias Aboulkacem
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:42:58 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey again guys - sadly haven't had that much time the last 2 days and it seems like until friday it won't get any better - but anyways some updates:

@Horia

Thanks again for the feedback! Textured the scorpion up - I really have problems using texture on a more defined concept - it ends always with me overpainting until the texture is almost gone again - like I did with this one ^^

Well yea - the cheetah was somehow a really rushed one - I intended to ref for his chest and pelvis more some lizard anatomy to merge with the snake but also it was quite late in the night so I accidently rendered the cat body back at a later stage - nevertheless, as you already mentioned, I should have thought more about the design. I tried it again yesterday but just couldn't get something original out of it somehow... going to give it another shot at the weekend.

Also I do like your take on the cheetah! Very inspiring!

scorpion

@Matthew

Thanks for the feedback! Started a bigger one with more of a player perspective as you mentioned. Will try to get some more at the weekend. I don't know if I understood the "flipping of values" you mentioned right - Did you mean for example the light hitting a dark rock making it brighter than a bright wall in the shadow?

Btw: Mind sharing your badass sabertooth cobra Horia mentioned? ;) Couldn't find it on your blog

slum

as always - comments, suggestions & critiques are all welcome :)

Matthew Barrett
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:10:02 PM(UTC)

By 'flipping' I meant that where you have the darkest shapes consistently in the foreground and lightest as the sky, try some thumbs where you reorder that relationship.  Darkest might be in the midground, sky is midtone, and foreground is brightest, or perhaps what serves as the sky (shaded giant wall?) is the darkest shape, while the midground is glaring white and foreground is midtone.  These relationships need to shift and change places as a player progresses chiefly to avoid monotony, but also to facilitate narrative structure.  It gives you an opportunity to alter the implied circumstances of combat encounters, for instance, or to make functionally identical encounters less tedious simply by visual and spacial stimulation.

I honestly don't know what Horia's talking about with the cobra though.  I think he saw my robot doppelganger.

Elias Aboulkacem
#16 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 7:19:36 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey again,

was about time to update

@Matt: Thanks for clarification. Haven't done that much environments and always stayed with light to dark bg to fg. Did some thumbs based on the flipping.

Ah too bad - I like your reptiles

a

also fixed some stuff on the scorpion and added a bg

b

@Horia: I started another hybrid serpent and made sure to focus more on design

Tried again the workflow of your lecture but really seem to have huge problems with using the texture on top - I think I spent way too much time on it - I included some WIPs so you might see what I did wrong during the progress.

c

d

e

Also I did start to play around with custom shapes - my first try:

f

comments, critique and suggestions are welcome

Edit: reuploaded the creature

George Kritikos
#17 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 8:00:49 PM(UTC)

Man

WOW... that is a huuuge improvement on the scorpion. It definately looks more vicious/savage now.

Also, nice enviro thumbs but as someone else said, you might want to make them slightly larger.

Elias Aboulkacem
#18 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 12:50:47 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks again George

About time to post some new stuff - Trying to catch up ...

Bigger thumbnails:

sketches2

Custom shapes:

environment3

3D blockout...

motorcycle1

...and the overpaint:

motorcycle2

comments, critique and suggestions are welcome ;)

Elias Aboulkacem
#19 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 1:53:03 PM(UTC)

Man

some environments done the levi way ;)

tried to do some with a more close-in player perspective and to play again around with the relationships of the fg, mg and bg but i really have problems that it makes sense in the end .. due to distance fog and stuff the background automatically gets lighter and in the end i'm back at dark fg and light bg most of the time - well i guess thats a matter of experience

environment4

Elias Aboulkacem
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:57:54 PM(UTC)

Man

some environment wips

temple

stairs

slum2