FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages123>
Ryan Stevenson's WIPs
Ryan Stevenson
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:10:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Heres my first lot of thumbs for week1. I plan are producing two groups maybe three if I get the time and then move onto working an image up.

Each group has a little theme, nothing to out there just something to give me direction and a problem to solve, my first group is based around the idea of a warrior with an animalistic side.

SimonLabreche
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 3:10:25 PM(UTC)

Great work! I really enjoy the detailing and its cool that your characters seem to belong to the same world. Maybe with more focus in hands gesture, it will make your characters even more convincing.

Looking foward to your next sketches!

Horia Dociu
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:59:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Wow, these are really great! They're beautiful sketches, lots of energy in the strokes, solid poses and anatomy, nice!

I did a couple rough paintovers... and while they're not as nice and clean as yours, and they're a bit muddy, the point I'm trying to get a corss is that you can push the proportions and make them look more beefy and dynamic rather than regular folks in costumes. With costumes you always want to excentuate the layers. If they're wearing armor, make it double thick. It sells the illustion, it helps the silhouette, and if its for a game and it demands its own geomerty, you gotta make it count :)

Ryan Stevenson
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:11:56 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks for the feedback and paintover Horia, they're brilliant tips and really helped. Below are my update characters applinging your pointers.

I'm working on some creatures stuff next.....

Horia Dociu
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:41:56 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Don't feel like you have to take what I say verbatim, I don't want you to feel like I'm nagging, lol- this is more about guiding and tips. These new ones look good though, and again, I really like your fresh sketching style. Fresh, as in loose but solid, not fresh like the prince of Bel Air.
CameronMousavi
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:00:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Online Classes

Horia Dociu wrote:
Don't feel like you have to take what I say verbatim, I don't want you to feel like I'm nagging, lol- this is more about guiding and tips. These new ones look good though, and again, I really like your fresh sketching style. Fresh, as in loose but solid, not fresh like the prince of Bel Air.

Both meanings are worthy compliments, I'm sure.

Ryan Stevenson
#7 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 2:42:44 PM(UTC)

Man

Horia: Yah Horia stop nagging me :) it was good advice and has been really useful, so thank you and i dont think your nagging. Glad you like my sketching style 

CameronMousavi: just one thing.....

"Now this is the story all about how 
My life got flipped, turned upside down 
And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there 
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-air"

So I've managed to fit a little more work in between Home life, Work and sorting things out for my brothers wedding tomorrow

First are some more thumbs this time creature one, just random stuff to warm my mind up 

I really wanted to take one of the thumbs from the first group to the next stage so I took thumb 4 and worked him up.

Any advice crits from anyone are always welcome. 

David Morgado
#8 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 2:47:00 PM(UTC)

Love your thumbnails Markus!

The more developed piece is too dark overall. Its usually better to start from the middle values, and then add the highlights and darkest darks last.

EDIT: note that when I say "middle values" I don't necessarily mean 50% brightness. The middle values on a dark image can be for instance 25\30% brightness.

MarkusLenz
#9 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 2:50:03 PM(UTC)

Man

I like the mood :X It's clearly on the dark side but that can be also on purpose. Maybe try to put some of the red "light" from behind on his back to sell his shape better and help distinguish his right arm from his body
Roman_Fuhrer
#10 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 2:57:25 PM(UTC)

Hi Ryan,

I very nice sketches. As mentioned before. I am amazed how much detail you manage to put into them. It really reads very well. 

Ryan Stevenson
#11 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 3:26:28 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks Guys

The image is meant to be dark but certainly not to dark to read, it doesn't look to bad on my screen but that might just be my screen settings so as a little test how are 2 and 3 in the image below? 1 is the original, are the others any better?

MarkusLenz
#12 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 3:36:46 PM(UTC)

Man

Yeah different screens are really a pain in the ass... The third one already reads much better on mine.
PhilLiu
#13 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 3:38:29 PM(UTC)

Man

3rd one looks the best on my screen.
SimonLabreche
#14 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 4:51:24 PM(UTC)

Hey Ryan!

Looking very very goood! the 3rd one does read better on my screen aswell, only the the hand seems overexposed, the rest has a lot more punch/contrast. Powerful colors!

Ryan Stevenson
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:12:16 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks for the feedback Markus, Phil and Simon when i get chance i'll fix the image.

Heres my first thumbs for class two, I haven't done value thumbs for a while so these felt a bit rusty but still enjoyable.

Onto the next batch now i've warmed up.   

Ryan Stevenson
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:17:47 PM(UTC)

Man

Heres my next batch of thumbs, as you can see from all the similar buildings cropping up I'm starting to pick my theme.

Next i'm doing a bunch of sketchys to plan somethings out and then work on the final. 

Ryan Stevenson
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:58:10 AM(UTC)

Man

Here some sketchys for the building, I've just got to pick which one to continue with...any suggestions? I'm enjoying number 5.  

Ryan Stevenson
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:14:25 AM(UTC)

Man

Here is No 5 worked up, its nearly done and I wanted to post it up before we start class 3 :)

On a side note how do you add the email and PM icons to the bottom of your posts? I've had a look in my profile and can't see an option to turn them on, where are they hiding?

Ryan Stevenson
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:03:45 PM(UTC)

Man

I wanted to make a homely structure with the last image but I thought i may have kept the forms too safe, so I tried this. What do you guys think to much? better before?

Edwin Rhemrev
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:27:19 AM(UTC)

Man

Really nice stuff ryan! Your process seems pretty solid, with enough info on each pass for a lead or artdirector to see where you  are going with it.

A small comment on the last house would be to add some light coming from within, so you'll have some light coming from the windows and doors, enabling you to define it a bit more. Other then that, great stuff.

-Edwin