FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages<123>
Ryan Stevenson's WIPs
David Morgado
#21 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:18:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

Good stuff Ryan!

On the last house, my crits would be:
- Define those totems more. Totems are always good symbols worth exploring, that tell alot about the culture they are from
- The house needs some sort of doors, I see no reason for not having them at this technology level

Hope that helps
Ryan Stevenson
#22 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:44:10 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks for the feedback Edwin and David, I should get sometime later in the week to make some changes to the house, and the inner light and door are a good call.

While waiting for class 3 to start I thought I'd see if I could fix my week 1 image, hopefully its more readably at least. I'm not sure if its one of those images its best to abandon or fix...i'll see if it keeps bugging me.

Edit: HA i just realized his arm is going to be ripped to shreds by the wolf heads teeth....maybe a little too bad ass

Ryan Stevenson
#23 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:32:05 PM(UTC)

Man

To start this week assignment I thought I'd limit myself to just the custom shapes to begin with.

Its interesting to see which custom shapes work and which don't, about half of my shapes just didn't cut the mustard.

SimonLabreche
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:37:16 PM(UTC)

Ryan,

Brilliant work, I think every thumbs you painted are very well detailed and rich! I especially enjoy the rock texture in the first thumb.  Loving these, please do more : )

Daniel Ortega
#25 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:45:12 PM(UTC)

Yupp. The lifted beam works great, now it looks like it was salvaged from a war ship and transformed into a cozy home. I am dying to see this piece in colors!
Edwin Rhemrev
#26 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 1:44:31 PM(UTC)

Man

Very cool stuff, the graphic approach does your stuff alot of good! I'd put in a scalereference here and there though, a human figure, a car, anything to make it looke even more epic. I myself tend to (over) use birds for scale :)
David Morgado
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:27:12 AM(UTC)

Love those thumbs Edwin!

I think you could explore more variety in the kind of environment.
Ryan Stevenson
#28 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:18:47 PM(UTC)

Man

Thanks for all the kind words guys, here is that next bunch of images for week three. First are some more shape thumbs. I'm really enjoying these, as you can see from the last one in the set I'm making some shapes for structure.

I also had a play at painting one up, now its really is just an experiment (but that was what the class was about) so it is a bit all over the place but I learnt a lot and had fun trying out all the different tricks.

Don't try and make senses of it...i didn't :D

Ryan Stevenson
#29 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:46:59 PM(UTC)

Man

Time for week four homework :) Here's 3 of my book cover roughs, as you can see by number three I started to get into the swing of things. I feel I still haven't managed to get the painted effects down so i'll try and get that more in on the next ones.

David Morgado
#30 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:49:10 PM(UTC)

Hey Ryan

Yup you have the hang of this one!
Also, compared to the character, you jumped miles in terms of graphical quality. Congrats!

Crit: on the one you took a step further (lets call it "Giant Balls... in Perspective" shall we? :D ), you lost the darker value of the left uhm... ball that you have in the middle step. I think that is for the worse, because:
1- it was a good compositional element
2- lightining looked more correct when it was darker
3- Given the lightning I see in the right balls, the left one provide for interesting shadows, provided they are lit correctly

Hope that helps!
flaptraps
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:31:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Hi Ryan,  Really like the direction you went with these illustrations! I agree with you on the third one seems the stronges I think your color pallette is great. With the paint over i did was to give you some idea of how far you can push some of those shapes and patterns to help describe everything else in the scene. Also to not be held back and when you see something that might work give it a shot. So i played witht he cloak a bit more and tried to really use it with the composition. hit me up if you have questions, hope it helps:) cheers

Richard Anderson
www.flaptrapsart.com
George Kritikos
#32 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:51:11 PM(UTC)

Man

Im really loving your colours (something i fail at miserably).

Its interesting to see the huge difference between your first batch of enviros and your second batch. A huge improvement at that. Definately getting a good sense of depth.

Nice book covers also. once again, you know how to pick your colours but as we can see from flaptraps paintover... we should always experiment and exaggerate to achieve really cool effects

Ryan Stevenson
#33 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:24:47 AM(UTC)

Man

Flattrap: Thanks for the paintover Richard they really helped, i think pushing the forms is currently one of the things thats keeps holding me back at the mo, so i'll absolutely try work on that. Hopefully my next batch of images are better or at least on the right track.

George: thanks for the kind words, glad you picked up on the depth in the second batch of enviros that what i was trying to improve on from the first batch :D

Here my next btach of book covers all still on the same theme...red guy city adventure

the first one is an alt to the last number three taking on board Richard advice...looking at it again now i should have pushed even more. I might have ramped my colours a bit too much so I may tweak them if I get the chance.

the first one below is an alt background, more within the city that lead me on to the last image I did 

one last thing this week has been alot of fun!   

George Kritikos
#34 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:24:31 PM(UTC)

Man

I just wrote a whole post lol but for some reason my browser F***ed up... so imma get straight to the point this time.

My favourite by far is the middle one, could definately see it on the front of a book.

Some compositional suggestions for your first image:
- move the foreground rock to the left (dont flip it)
  - or instead make it a string of 'spear-heads' curving round from the right side of the frame to the bottom left.
- and then move the dude to the right
- and then move the background somewhere (in my head im seeing slightly to the left)
- maybe even enlarge the size of the character. could emphasize dominance/power?

oh, and very nice additions btw.

Ryan Stevenson
#35 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:45:27 AM(UTC)

Man

Hi Guys, I've been crunching hard on a few projects so I'm a bit out of sync at the mo, here's my work for class 6. I'm going to be catching up on the posting and work over the next few days.

Levi if your still around I'd love to get some feedback on these

George Kritikos
#36 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:56:05 AM(UTC)

Man

whO.OA!

been a while since i been through this thread...

Quality scifi scenes... jaw dropping!

8 and 10 are my favourites.

... definately worth the wait :P

Ryan Stevenson
#37 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:10:49 PM(UTC)

Man

George: Thanks man, Glad you like them.

Here's the next group for Levi's class, this time using a fantasy theme.

Elias Aboulkacem
#38 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:00:09 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey Ryan!

These look really nice!

Just one minor thing composition-wise: the 1, 2, 8 and 10  got the problem that curves are going out of your frame and back in again - or objects are very close to/scratching the frame of your picture - these should be avoided since these will make the eye "fall out" of the frame or create unwanted focal points - hope that helps!

Ryan Stevenson
#39 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:53:26 AM(UTC)

Man

Thanks Elias, I'll have to go back to those images and sort that out.

Heres my WIP for week 7 class with Kekai. I need to add colour at some point but I'm really enjoying working just in black and white at the moment. 

Ryan Stevenson
#40 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 12:18:16 PM(UTC)

Man

Added some quick color and textures.