FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages123>
Danilo Silva | WIP
Danilo Silva
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:46:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

Hey guys,
I've been working hard, but i'm a bit stuck right now... i don't know if it would be cool to change my aproach, brushe or reference etc.
Can you please give me a feedback so i can keep moving foward on this?! :)

Thanks,
Dan

BenLo
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:41:55 PM(UTC)

#4 on the human one works for me. the shoulder gear and the staff helps, maybe if there are some visual ques on the other ones too would help.

David Morgado
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:17:29 AM(UTC)

Danilo, don't worry about the brush for now, the round one does just fine :)

As for new approaches, try laying a line that describes the character's movement\pose before beefing him up. By this I mean, if you look at a person, doing anything, you can describe their motion via abstract lines. For instance:

Danilo Silva
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:08:22 PM(UTC)

Man

First of all thank you David and BenLo. Your tips helped me. :)

Here are some updates with those tips in mind:

Daniel Ortega
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:27:15 PM(UTC)

Wow Danilo,

your figures really took off on the second batch. I have used the trick that Morgado describes for a long time now, but I was never sure if I was on the right track (the problems of being self-taught). I like the sinister pose of number one, maybe you should develop him further now? =)
Horia Dociu
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:46:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

yep! not bad at all! get crackin' on some of that rendering stuff and take one of these to completion- then we can comment on it.
Danilo Silva
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 9:14:23 PM(UTC)

Man

Tks for your words guys!

I think i'm starting to understand better this silhouette thing. :)
So i did a few more and finally could pick 3 of then to start develop it further.

I hope you like it, i'll be posting more w.i.p.s of the finals by tomorrow. Looking foward for any comments and critics you may give me. ;)

Cheers!

MichaelNevins
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 9:28:55 PM(UTC)

Hey Danilo, I'm already seeing improvements, that's great, seems like you're enjoying doing them too. That silhouette of the girl is really simple but effective because of it.

A critique I could throw at you would be to try and practice simplifying more before you try and get into the rendering, right now you're jumping into color too quickly before you have a strong foundation. The girl, of the three, reads the best because it's the most simplified of the group. I think it would really help you to practice taking your silhouettes and break down the design to about 3 values: black, grey, and white, and try to convey as much of the design as you can through those values and build more detail on top of it after that.

Hope this helps

MarisaErven
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 9:52:12 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting, Online Classes

Hey Danilo,

Awesome progress over the last few submissions! I'm really liking the latest silhouette refinements you have been doing. I do agree with what Michael mentioned regarding values. You have some nice designs started, but working to articulate those further before adding texture would make your pieces stronger. I know how fun texturing/painting can be, but the stronger your starting base the better the end product. :)

Danilo Silva
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:03:59 PM(UTC)

Man

Hey Michael and Marisa, thank you so much!

I do agree with you, so i'll stick with the girl for now and try to refine just her further since i can't finish the rest, or i mighty get late for this week's assigments.

So here she is, comments and critics are welcome as always. :)

(I'll be posting more updates as soon as i progress on her!)

Danilo Silva
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 3:50:27 PM(UTC)

Man

Another w.i.p

I hope to be on the right track, but if i don't C&C i'll be for sure welcome. :)

CheeWong
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 3:59:36 PM(UTC)

The female char looks to have a good weight and gesture
Horia Dociu
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:04:15 PM(UTC)

Danilo, don't stop on this chick... move fast, make big important moves on this and get it done. It's shaping up nice and I'd be glad to help out once you'd consider it finished. That way, I know you're pushing the envelope of your skill and any tips I'm able to give you wont be redundant with what you'd already planned to do or knew already. Get crackin' or the assignments will pile up and you'll miss deadlines.
CheeWong
#14 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 2:56:52 AM(UTC)

Horia Dociu wrote:
Get crackin' or the assignments will pile up and you'll miss deadlines.

Thats solid real industry advice there

Danilo Silva
#15 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 12:21:43 PM(UTC)

Man

Horia Dociu wrote:
Danilo, don't stop on this chick... move fast, make big important moves on this and get it done. It's shaping up nice and I'd be glad to help out once you'd consider it finished. That way, I know you're pushing the envelope of your skill and any tips I'm able to give you wont be redundant with what you'd already planned to do or knew already. Get crackin' or the assignments will pile up and you'll miss deadlines.

Hey Horia,
I understand what you'r saying and I humbly agree with that. The point is that I may not have understood something about the class/assigment... I'm trying to refine the girl but when it's time to finally add textures and stuff, or i don't have to do it right now and keep rendering in gray until i finish her?

Here's one more w.i.p of her(i'll post more today), and i've been working on some thumbs for this week's assigment too. Hope to reach everyone since i'm working hard.
See'ya! :)

Danilo Silva
#16 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 7:29:52 PM(UTC)

Man

Updates

Matthew Barrett
#17 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:06:42 PM(UTC)

On your environment thumbs, I think you're thinking too much about specific structures, and not enough about establishing a hierarchy of value.  Try not to get distracted in specific shapes before you've got your light sorted out.  The one on the upper right comes closest to what I'd liek to see- it's got a full range of values, with clear roles for each major step.  I think you could benefit from a more abstract initial approach with, say, white and black on your palette, with a 60% opacity brush.  Even random scribbling will trend toward hierarchies that attract your attention, so don't feel too compelled to make clear renderings.

Danilo Silva
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:33:23 PM(UTC)

Man

Matthew Barrett wrote:

On your environment thumbs, I think you're thinking too much about specific structures, and not enough about establishing a hierarchy of value.  Try not to get distracted in specific shapes before you've got your light sorted out.  The one on the upper right comes closest to what I'd liek to see- it's got a full range of values, with clear roles for each major step.  I think you could benefit from a more abstract initial approach with, say, white and black on your palette, with a 60% opacity brush.  Even random scribbling will trend toward hierarchies that attract your attention, so don't feel too compelled to make clear renderings.

Thank you for your feedback i'm already doing new studies and trying to improve on what you pointed, i mighty post it later today. :)

Danilo Silva
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:39:55 PM(UTC)

Man

Some updates.
I started using textures/overlay, but I do not know if I'm in the right direction.

Danilo Silva
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:41:23 PM(UTC)

Man

CheeWong wrote:

Horia Dociu wrote:
Get crackin' or the assignments will pile up and you'll miss deadlines.

Thats solid real industry advice there

indeed