FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages123>
Marisa Erven - WIP Thread
MarisaErven
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:59:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting, Online Classes

Abigail Ryder
#2 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 1:17:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

Hi Marisa, I think my favorite is the second-to-last dragon silhouette... his posture is very evocative, I almost want to pat him on the head! :) I also like the three you've chosen to render as well, especially the textural elements in the render of the hobbit-y type person.

-Abigail
MarisaErven
#3 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 9:20:38 PM(UTC)

Hi Abigail,

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback! I definitely see what you mean about the posing of the second to last dragon, I'll be sure to keep that in mind :)
MarisaErven
#4 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 9:24:58 PM(UTC)

Here's a few more that I worked on tonite.

Kelli Hoover
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 12:05:52 AM(UTC)

Hey Marisa! :D

I really like #16 of the new ones... it reminds me of a demonic seahorse! It has a lot of energy too
David Morgado
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:35:55 AM(UTC)

Cute characters all around!

You might want to try defining the dragon a bit more before applying the texture overlays. The overlay has a tendency to muddy the forms, so in the end you have to paint over it to re-define the forms anyway. Most likely that will cause a loss of the texture
But if you already have the forms underneath, some of it will show through, and on that re-define stage you can get away with just a couple of strokes.
Also, the dragon has too excessive darks that I reckon will make it harder to define his form down the road.

Hope that helps
JenniferRyckman
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:56:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting, Online Classes, ZBrush

Hey Marisa! Good to see another fellow DP student. :)

I really like the rodent character you rendered in your first post. His pose has a lot of attitude. I do wonder though if you could change the tail a bit; it's almost tweening with his foot, especially near his toes.
MarisaErven
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:44:59 PM(UTC)

@ Kelli - Hi Kelli~! Thanks, glad you like it!

@ David - Yeah, I totally understand what you're saying and agree. I need to really watch levels with overlays to make sure my levels and form detailing shows through particularly with silhouettes. Thanks! :)

@ Jennifer - Hi! Good to see you as well. Yeah, I totally can change that. Will do, thanks for the heads up!

MarisaErven
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 8:17:41 PM(UTC)

Building Enviro Concepts First Pass.  Will work on some vertical compositions tomorrow :)

Edwin Rhemrev
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:55:52 AM(UTC)

Man

Hey Marisa, some pretty cool stuff here! I love your ratcreature from week 1, would be great to see that rendered in color! Also dig the thumbs,though remember that black is only for foreground objects, e.g. in thumbs 1,2,3 and 8 you loose the feelign of depth because of this. And try varying the shots, they're all quite similar. A great source for inspiration regarding shots is http://framefilter.blogspot.com , a blogspot with tons of movie screenshots :)
Hope this helps,
-Edwin
Levi Hopkins
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:52:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Marisa-

Nice to see some enviro thumbs going already, i'd like to see you pump out some more.

-Levi

Bongo Bong.
Horia Dociu
#12 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 7:10:59 AM(UTC)

Whats up Marisa-

the enviro thumbs are a good start, but you're spending more time shading than planning. Quit worrying about what exactly the building are, and more about where they're placed and the general shapes etc. It's hard to look at any of the thumbnails and pic a focal point. There needs to be a hero in every shot, is it the building? the freeway? The destroyed wall? Pick what the focal point is, then worry about the details.

As far as your character stuff, lots more reference and construction. That's not to say every character needs to be based on a photo, but just lots of angles or a photobank you use universally to see that you're building stuff right. Your figures need to work before you can worry about what they're wearing or how you mess with them to make them unique monsters etc. For example I thought of a real rat/squirrel when I did this paintover, giving it that big rump they have, it gives it more character, but also cleans up the desing (look at the red vs green line)- hope that helps!

Matthew Barrett
#13 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:53:06 PM(UTC)

I'd like to see more highlight values in your thumbs and less emphasis on rendering details of buildings.  Think of this stage as a sort of freeform, nonlinear storyboard of the kinds of light, shadow, space, and mass you want a player to see unfold as they move through the game.  Don't paint buildings or walls- paint the dark or light mass you want to throw a pathway into darkness or bathe an area in reflected sunlight, or the sunlit strip of catacomb wall, hopelessly high above as you enter a chamber that might be near the way out.  Paint light, or not light, but think of physical objects last.

MarisaErven
#14 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 11:45:18 PM(UTC)

Thank you to everyone for the comments and critique.  I have tried to establish more broad shapes and specific focal points/clear eye direction.

@ Edwin, that site is totally awesome, I have it bookmarked now.  Great comments, thank you! 

Hi Levi,  here's the next batch!

Hey Horia, thanks for the paintover :) Will do, breaking down the design/spine curve really provided a great visual for me to understand. 

Matthew, thanks also for your critique.  I saw your message 30 minutes ago so did a quick pass trying to punch the lighting I had existing.  I'll be sure to work more tomorrow from scratch focused towards the lighting approach.  Thank you!

MarisaErven
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:48:05 PM(UTC)

More thumbs, trying to focus on focal point and light/shadow balance.

MarisaErven
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:14:00 PM(UTC)

Another pass, trying to continue focus on light/shadow and focal points.  Critiques welcomed :)

David Morgado
#17 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 2:33:49 AM(UTC)

Hi Marisa

Try using a wider scale of value, more contrast. Hope that helps :)
lucilemeunier
#18 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 2:41:07 AM(UTC)

Woman

I think your thumbs are too blurry, you can try to use more solid brushes or use the lasso tool to define the shapes. I like the diversity of your angle shots.
Keep it up ^o^

MarisaErven
#19 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 5:20:48 AM(UTC)

Cool thanks for the input. I'll take some time tonite to tighten up the edging and contrast.

Horia Dociu
#20 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 7:43:32 AM(UTC)

I see you have 5 tones on the side of the thumbs page- white, light gray, gray, dark gray, black. Try JUST using those. You're wasting time and muddying up shapes with all the shading at this point. Try and get it looking real good in the 4 or 5 tones. The last set is the best looking, I like 8, since unlike some other ones, you got a good sense of depth in by hinting at other tents further back. Take that one further, and see if you can make it even more interesting- can you bring some of the tents to the foreground to create more depth and more interesting angles etc.. Also, its cool to have stuff cropped by the edge of the image and get as much overlap as possible, that'll help the depth as well.