FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123
Marisa Erven - WIP Thread
MarisaErven
#41 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 3:08:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Digital Painting, Online Classes

Scifi Enviro thumbs page.  Started with upper left version and created variants from that one.

@ David,  Thank you! :)  I haven't really ever worked with interacting with masks/selections as a means to paint before.  I'll certainly have to do some exploring.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  Re:  the textural treatment, I completely see what you mean with the textures, as often I do spend my time repainting edges after I lose them from textures.  I'll try to work on more of a workflow balance with that.  Cheers! 

MarisaErven
#42 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:50:11 PM(UTC)

Additional enviro work :)

Jared Shear
#43 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 6:16:20 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

Nice work Marisa! I like these thumbs, especially the mood you are capturing with your lighting. I also like some of the more dynamic horizon lines, as well as your use of atmosphere...which helps to give some nice depth in those top pieces.

When working in color don't be afraid to add more grays....or maybe I should say less saturated colors that lean towards gray. It's another way of adding contrast to a piece by having the colored areas play off against the more neutral tones. It also helps if you really want to make a statement, because if you have those neutral tones, the colored areas(fire ball, magic blast, etc) have that much more impact.
MarisaErven
#44 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 6:41:06 AM(UTC)

Hi Jared,

Thanks for the input! I'll be sure to keep the saturation levels more in mind as I go.
Your work is quite lovely btw. Appreciate the feedback, glad you liked the value enviros! : )
MarisaErven
#45 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 10:22:44 PM(UTC)

More enviros, using a combination of techniques taught. : )  Always appreciate feedback~!

@ David - Tried the smudge mask technique on the bottom left piece.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks again!

Levi Hopkins
#46 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:10:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Marisa-

Thanks for doing all those thumbnails, booyah!

Just a few crits for you to think about. Your images are lacking any real perspective. Most of the images below only had parallel lines running flat across the surface, they never converge anywhere and this makes it difficult to get any depth into an image. No matter how crazy your atomosphere is without any hints at where a vanishing point may be will just flatten your images to hell and back. :)

On your first image you created for this series you hinted at some perspective on the bottom bridge but didn't really follow through with the rest of the structures. Any perspective that is there is very timid, so I recommend pushing some of these elements like i did in a mini-paintover. All i did was copy and paste your brushstrokes and warped them enough to guide the eye.

The last image you did below has some great atomosphere but again no real perspective cues. Even just throwing in a ground plane via copying your whole image and warping it into perspective can help guide the eye through the image. Also, amp up that little satellite thingie you got going on, go big or go home! :)

Thanks-

Levi

Bongo Bong.
MarisaErven
#47 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:51:55 PM(UTC)

Hi Levi,

Thanks for the feedback and paintover! I really appreciate the points you made, & will work on pushing both perspective and elements within my pieces further. :)
Your paintovers did a really great job at communicating the dramatic difference those changes can make. Thanks again!
MarisaErven
#48 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 10:33:22 PM(UTC)

This week's assignment.  Tried to pay particular attention to adding more depth and focus to the piece based upon Levi's suggestions. 

Any comments and critiques most welcome. 

MarisaErven
#49 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:00:48 PM(UTC)

Updated revisions to previous post.  Thanks again for a great class with awesome students and teaching :)

George Kritikos
#50 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:42:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes
Man

hey Marisa,

i really like these last additions, however I think the atmospheric feel of the first version is better.

you should also try working on a foreground to give the image more depth... Maybe have elevated land in the bottom left corner that covers one or two of the river trails. Obviously be a bit more creative than that lol but I think you get the idea.

MarisaErven
#51 Posted : Monday, June 06, 2011 6:51:46 PM(UTC)

George Kritikos wrote:

hey Marisa,

i really like these last additions, however I think the atmospheric feel of the first version is better.

you should also try working on a foreground to give the image more depth... Maybe have elevated land in the bottom left corner that covers one or two of the river trails. Obviously be a bit more creative than that lol but I think you get the idea.

Thanks for the feedback George!  I really like the idea regarding the left corner.  Much appreciated!