FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Paul Chou - WIP Thread
Pchou
#1 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 12:13:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

Here's my week 1 assignment, some random silhouettes. :) Hopefully I'm doing this right.

pchou's silhouettes

Levi Hopkins
#2 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 9:44:31 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

Paul-

I'm really digging these, lots of energy, varied brush strokes, i'm excited to see where you take these next!

-L

Bongo Bong.
Pchou
#3 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 4:18:05 PM(UTC)

Had an hour after work before I had to head out again so I refined three of the silhouettes :) Didn't quite have enough time to try coloring them.

Comments/criticism welcome.

silhouettes 2

Stokes
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:07:33 PM(UTC)

These are sweet Paul, tons of character! Here are a few suggestions about the proportions and posing. After these minor tweaks I think it's time to start overlaying some color and texture and see what happens.

Horia Dociu
#5 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 7:41:00 AM(UTC)

those little thumbnails are gorgeous!!! nail the structure underneath and you're on the right track. Really love those little ones! so expressive and interesting too!!
Pchou
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:56:01 AM(UTC)

Silhouettes 3

Colored two of the characters this morning, need to get around to the 2nd week assignment :(

Thanks for the redlining, by the way. I find that I'm always drawing the same bodytypes, and haven't really thought about pushing expressive tapering of joints or posing. While I haven't finished coloring the third character, I found the red lines on that one especially helpful because I don't have much experience drawing female characters. Hopefully I'll get more time during the week to finish it off.

Comments/criticism welcome, as always.

Stokes
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:48:00 AM(UTC)

Love the color and texture in these!!

Horia Dociu
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:35:39 PM(UTC)

Yeah, I love the colors, and you managed to maintain the energy the sketches had, which were very nice, but now the problem is it's all too messy. The silhouette is a bit over the top with those crazy hands (that look broken to be honest) and despite the nice pose, the creature looks flat and its hard to tel what's really going on there. I tried to maintain all your details, though personally I'd simplify this quite a bit and keep the details for important garnish, but anyway, by really pushing the layering of clothes (drop shadows and continuing them out past the silhouette) I was able to better describe what was on top of what, and make be less camouflaged and hidden in the details.

Pchou
#9 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 4:24:33 AM(UTC)

Building Silhouettes

Some preliminary sketches for week 2's building concepts. I find that I work better when trying to concept something in almost isometrics than painting a scene, because then I get too focused on non-architectural details and trying to make it a painting. I also wanted to go for something a little more different than the generic scifi stuff. Will go into adding lighting to them when I can :)

Horia Dociu
#10 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 7:15:26 AM(UTC)

Wow, I really love these building sketches... they're really fun and interesting and certainly not the 'same old thing' -keep up the good work!

Sandra
#11 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 8:46:39 AM(UTC)

l love your work, gosh, what are you shooting yourself with to crank out these concepts?!l find myself drawn to the buildings  7 and 8 more then the others if that helps you pick one.

In all honesty; l'd like a prescription for whatever your taking.

Pchou
#12 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 3:03:25 PM(UTC)

Just seeing what I can get critiqued at this point :/ I really enjoyed Levi's class so here are a few that I did for it. I started getting a hang of it after doing a few and trying the things I was seeing in the video.