FuturePoly Forums
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Cameron Mousavi - WiP and other marvelous things
CameronMousavi
#1 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 5:46:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: 3D Modeling, Online Classes

Just got my Tablet this morning, got it set up all nice and dandy this afternoon, these things are magical. Time to be late onto the bandwagon:

Noticed I have a bit of trouble with figures in motion - finding how to put them just out of balance as to apply motion, but not so much that it seems silly. Also, generally just more drawing, especially on a tablet. I've been practicing with gestures and anatomy, if ya'll see anything recurring please let me know :]

Jennifer Stoneking
#2 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 6:04:42 PM(UTC)

Groups: Online Classes

This isn't really constructive criticism, but the Horia-Oreo made me laugh so hard! :D

Now for some hopefully-constructive criticism: Using that spackle-y looking brush for the backgrounds on some of the silhouettes really threw them off for me. "Cool" brushes like that are probably better for finishing touches, like providing a little smattering of texture on a silhouette's dark shape. (All of this is in my opinion... you can take it or leave it.) Most of these look on the stiff side or have strange proportions that don't seem intentional, but there are two that stood out to me...

1. The one you used a red skeleton overlay on
2. Warrior looking dude beneath the Horia-Oreo

Number 1 has good movement, and I think that might be because you sketched out the flow of the body and its weight using the overlay
Number 2 is a little stiff, but it's got a good and readable shape, minus his right arm being awfully long, and I think you could definitely take that one somewhere cool

Hope this helps! :)

Work decent enough for the internet: http://jenniferstoneking.carbonmade.com
Stokes
#3 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 6:24:55 PM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

lol  I think Orea Dociu has promise.

CameronMousavi
#4 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 6:35:17 PM(UTC)

Oreo Dociu was absolutely necessary considering my fantabulously healthy diet during the drawing.

And thank you, Jennifer :] I'll keep arm lengths in mind next time. And I'd agree, especially the first ones look a little stiff. I'll be looking around to see what ya'll are doing, learn from it and such.

David Morgado
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:54:22 AM(UTC)

Try getting some anatomy reference to get the proportions right. Also, I posted this on someone else's topic, but you might want to try laying down a couple of "movement" lines to get the feel of the pose, before adding mass:

Stokes
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:25:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: FP Instructor

I agree that the brush you chose is interfering with the design. I think this one has promise and if you go in with a hard edged white brush and refine the edges you’ll start finding more interesting shapes. Keep going with these and you’ll be used to that wacom in no time :)

CameronMousavi
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:40:16 PM(UTC)

Stokes wrote:

I agree that the brush you chose is interfering with the design. I think this one has promise and if you go in with a hard edged white brush and refine the edges you’ll start finding more interesting shapes. Keep going with these and you’ll be used to that wacom in no time :)

Thank you, I wasn't entirely going about it the right before - visual exploration is rather new to me. And rather fun. I started going refining my shapes and finding more interesting ones inbetween. I feel like I'm still getting the hang of digital painting - along with everything else, but I managed to find some time inbetween classes to reward myself with some FP-work.

Months behind, I know. As I started to tighten him up I noticed the dynamics the silhoette had were lost, thus I'll probably start on a new one with a slightly over-the-top pose and see how that turns out tightened up.

A few thumbnails. Going to find some time to continue this exercise, it's terribly fun.

:] All feedback is greatly appreciated so long as they don't conflict with my delusions of grandeur.

CameronMousavi
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:03:36 AM(UTC)

Almost hurts to see how badly I needed to paint more. I suppose that's the point though, isn't it? After a nice useful Summer and Fall of practice, here's where I'm at.

I feel like 3 months of studies and practicing on my own gave me more results than any 3 months I've spent at art college - and just imagine how much cheaper it was too :P Still, Illustration interests me greatly alongside concept art, and seeing as it's the only major where I can practice my digital work entirely, I'll stick to it. Have been toying around with the idea of dropping out and just practicing on my own in Seattle with some FP classes on the side, though.

CameronMousavi
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:08:38 PM(UTC)

Update :] every day i seem to enjoy painting more, at least with studies and personal work - landscapes, figures, master studies and such. Sadly not much I'm willing to post, given the rest are projects for school, projects that don't seem to be entirely relevant to what I want to do anymore. I'm going to be taking next quarter off for personal studies, since I feel I thrive on art books, talking to other artists and just doodling all day rather than how my classes are structured to give me a broad yet shallow introduction to the markets of illustration. If any of you still creep the forums every now and then, do any of y'all have any good DVD's or art books to recommend? I'm going to be spending a lot of time with Gurney's books, as well as Bridgman and Loomis.

Daniel Ortega
#10 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2012 8:22:42 PM(UTC)

I have to say Cameron, you have improved since last year! Your line is looking better and better.
CameronMousavi
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:25:20 PM(UTC)

Daniel! Haha thank you so much, it means a lot to me :] Here's a bit more of the finished/personal work since my last post awhile ago. I've been having a bit of trouble deciding where I want to go with my work, and thus pointed practice is at a low. Still drawing and doing still lifes, but I suppose class in a few days will help sort me out.

CameronMousavi
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:48:39 AM(UTC)

Because why not? If any of y'all check back here every once in awhile, then here's hoping everything's lovely on your end.

CameronMousavi
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:51:27 AM(UTC)

Oh, and a recent study, after Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema.